Blu-Ray discs stuttering severely

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
Torwulf

Blu-Ray discs stuttering severely

Post by Torwulf »

Update: I was able to fix the issue by re-installing Windows 10. I'm just gonna assume the update somehow corrupted one driver or another.

A recent update to Win10 seems to have broken something about blu-ray playback.

While playing the disc normally, regardless of software, every 70 seconds or so optical drive will begin seeking back and forth. This typically happens for 35 seconds at a time. This causes the playback to stutter severely.
I was unable to fix this, uninstalling the windows update, updating the drives firmware to the latest official version, updating chipset drivers, installing even newer windows updates, re-installing the generic BD drivers, updating GPU drivers, replacing the optical drive. Nothing had any effect.

I was able to work around the issue, by simply ripping the blu-ray discs with MakeMKV, this worked for a short while. I was able to rip a couple of discs just fine without any of the stuttering. The next day, when i decided to continue ripping my collection, i found that the stuttering issue started happening with ripping just the same way as it did with regular disc playback. This significantly slowed down my ripping, since while the drive sutters i only get around 150K/s 0.0x read rate. But it wasn't the end of the world. The MKV files where fine, no errors. But after ripping 3 episodes off of a disc, the stuttering slowed down significantly, and instead of only lasting for 35 seconds. It now lasts indefinitely. To the point where ripping a single 45 minutes episode would take 145 hours. Nothing i did fixed this. I am now essentially completely unable to rip blu-ray discs faster than 150 K/s. The Blu-ray drive is also constantly spinning up while it's idle if it has a blu-ray disc inserted. It will spin up to normal reading speed for 60 seconds, then return to idle for 10 seconds, and repeat indefinitely.

Has anyone else had this issue before? I couldn't find anyone on a google search who had it. If so, how did you fix it? Right now my entire Bd collection and my optical drive are essentially a pile of paperweights because of this.

System: Ryzen 5 5600x, Radeon 6800Xt, Asus Rog Strix b550F (latest bios)
Optical drive: Asus BC-12D2HT (FW 3.11). A drive from August 2016, and a drive from May 2021