Help with Eng/Jpn audio tracks for Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
bleepingstuff5

Help with Eng/Jpn audio tracks for Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood

Post by bleepingstuff5 »

I'm having issues getting the correct audio tracks when ripping Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood BDs. I've verified with tsmuxer that there are indeed two audio streams on the BD:

English AC3 core+TRUE-HD Peak bitrate: 4647Kbps (core 448Kbps) Sample Rate: 47KHz Channels 5.1
Japanese AC3 core+TRUE-HD Peak bitrate 1212Kbps (core 192Kbps) Sample Rate: 48KHz Channels 2

No matter what advanced settings I use, I only get the English audio track as 2 tracks on my rip: TrueHD and Core. I have preferred language set to none, and I've tried several settings in advanced from what I can understand by reading the documentation. I even tried "+Sel:all" as the only setting assuming it would just grab "everything" from the disc, but it doesn't.

What's odd is Handbrake can see both the English and Japanese tracks when I load the BD in Handbrake, so I know there's something I'm missing here on MakeMKV.

What's the magical setting that I need to change so I can rip all of the language tracks?

Thank you!
Woodstock

Re: Help with Eng/Jpn audio tracks for Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood

Post by Woodstock »

Preferences->Language, set "Preferred language" to NONE.

Otherwise, you have to manually select audio/subtitle tracks that are not in your preferred language.

Been there, done that.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
bleepingstuff5

Post by bleepingstuff5 »

I have it set to none, but when I expand the audio tracks after it opens the disc, there's only the one English audio track showing. There's not a second track for me to select. That's what is confusing to me.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

I only have the DVD version, and I know it had both languages on it. Not sure what would prevent MakeMKV from seeing all tracks on the BD version, unless they are using multiple play lists for the episodes, each showing a single language. GKids does that sometimes.
bleepingstuff5

Post by bleepingstuff5 »

Woodstock wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:33 pm
I only have the DVD version, and I know it had both languages on it. Not sure what would prevent MakeMKV from seeing all tracks on the BD version, unless they are using multiple play lists for the episodes, each showing a single language. GKids does that sometimes.
Is there a way to work around that if it is multiple play lists? I've ripped many DVD's in my day but not many BD's so still a little new to how they organize the discs.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

My way of doing things is to rip everything over 30 seconds, and quickly view each file to determine what it has and has not. In the case of the GKids disks, I used mkvtoolnix to construct an MKV with both sets of audio and subtitle tracks, then processed that with handbrake.

If they did that on FMA-B, you'd see two entries for each episode, rather than just one. Seems like a lot more work than Aniplex would do, but it isn't impossible.
bleepingstuff5

Post by bleepingstuff5 »

Woodstock wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:49 pm
My way of doing things is to rip everything over 30 seconds, and quickly view each file to determine what it has and has not. In the case of the GKids disks, I used mkvtoolnix to construct an MKV with both sets of audio and subtitle tracks, then processed that with handbrake.

If they did that on FMA-B, you'd see two entries for each episode, rather than just one. Seems like a lot more work than Aniplex would do, but it isn't impossible.
Thanks! I assume I can uncheck the box in settings to skip tracks shorter than 120 seconds (default) to rip all of the files. However I am seeing in the log file that its skipping some files as duplicates, which makes me believe it is a playlist issue. How would I get MakeMKV to rip these duplicate files too?

Code: Select all

File 00001.mpls was added as title #0
File 00001.mpls(1) was added as title #1
File 00001.mpls(2) was added as title #2
File 00001.mpls(3) was added as title #3
File 00001.mpls(4) was added as title #4
File 00001.mpls(5) was added as title #5
File 00001.mpls(6) was added as title #6
File 00001.mpls(7) was added as title #7
File 00001.mpls(8) was added as title #8
File 00018.mpls was added as title #9
File 00028.mpls was added as title #10
Title 00029.mpls is equal to title 00001.mpls(1) and was skipped
Title 00030.mpls is equal to title 00001.mpls(2) and was skipped
Title 00031.mpls is equal to title 00001.mpls(3) and was skipped
Title 00032.mpls is equal to title 00001.mpls(4) and was skipped
Title 00033.mpls is equal to title 00001.mpls(5) and was skipped
Title 00034.mpls is equal to title 00001.mpls(6) and was skipped
Title 00035.mpls is equal to title 00001.mpls(7) and was skipped
Title 00036.mpls is equal to title 00001.mpls(8) and was skipped
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Skipping duplicates can't be overridden yet. It's been requested. But playlists with different choices shouldn't be treated as duplicates. Key word, "shouldn't". I might comment that I write that like I think it's true... It may or may not be.

To rip everything, just set the minimum title length to zero. I use 30 because, well, because. It's rare to have stuff less than 30 seconds to be an "important" extra.

Also, you might want to follow the information in FAQ 8 (link below) and submit information to Mike to analyse. There is no guarantee that MakeMKV is reading the m2ts files exactly right.
pianoman0504

Post by pianoman0504 »

Created an account to share a workaround since I've been trying to get FMA:B to work as well for the past two weeks or so. Here's how I fixed it.
After MakeMKV has read the disc but before you start ripping, you can use the tree to see all the audio tracks. For the very first episode, there are four tracks for the actual episode (2 in English, 2 in Japanese, with each having a TrueHD and an AAC codec version), plus the commentary track. For me, here the English and Japanese tracks show up differently, but when I play the disc in VLC, everything shows up as English for some reason, which I think is why MakeMKV is throwing the whole "track is a duplicate so we're removing it" thing. The trick is to make them not duplicates. Highlight an audio track, then on the right side below the output folder box, is a Properties field. Select "Name" in the dropdown box if it isn't already selected. The name that shows up there is either "Surround 5.1" or "Stereo" depending on which you selected. You can rename it to something else; I just changed it to "English" or "Japanese". Do that for each episode, then you can rip the disc, and if you really want to change the way the tracks are named, you can do so afterwards with mkvtoolnix. Everything shows up fine for me if I do it like that.
Let me know if it works for any of you! Cheers