Dolby Vision x265 Encoding, DV Profile Advantages/Caveats?

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
rophel

Re: Dolby Vision x265 Encoding, DV Profile Advantages/Caveats?

Post by rophel »

Could I convert existing Profile 5 files to Profile 8.1 without losing anything? Would be nice for my mixed DV and non-DV household.

What about the colorspace concern mentioned at the beginning of this thread?
mtotheb

Post by mtotheb »

ArArdin wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:24 pm
mtotheb wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:57 pm
Has anyone tried compressing the 4k movie to 1080p and then inject the DV part? Does that work or do we have to stay at the original resolution?
Interesting question. I never gave DV for 1080p much thought. Profile 7 RPU is hold by 1080p EL. Profile 7 also supports FHD, if wiki is correct. It does make you wonder if the RPU could indeed be used for FHD video.

Why don't you give it a go? Should it make your tv explode, please be so kind to warn us? :mrgreen:
It does work but without editing the RPU (I’m not yet too familiar with that) my LG B1 (equivalent to C1) internal player crops it wrong. I guess the active area signaling @QuietVoid mentioned. While my Dolby Vision compatible Android TV Stick plays it back just fine
Shield TV 2017 -> LG DSN10YG Soundbar with SPK8 Rears -> LG B1 OLED
ArArdin

Post by ArArdin »

Interesting. I can't make up if you converted P7 to P8.
Chances are if you indeed set active area proper offsets, your TV will playback ok.
higher

Post by higher »

As per the original post I was trying to make an UHD BR Rip Dolby Vision encode. I used the steps outlined in the post.
The encode is cropped so I used --crop when extracting the RPU from the EL.
The file triggers Dolby Vision on my LG C8 but as soon as I try to seek it stops playing and won't resume.

For testing purposes I tried to inject the uncropped RPU into the untouched/uncropped original Base Layer. The resulting file is now seekable on the LG C8.

So I'm not sure what's wrong with the re-encoded Dolby Vision rip. Could be some x265 settings preventing seek? I used --slow however I didn't use the --uhd-bd switch. Do I have to specify --keyint 24 --min-keyint 1 as I read somewhere that it helps with UHD-BD compliance?

I haven't yet tried to reencode the movie without cropping and inject the uncropped RPU yet but I think it must be some x265 setting that's causing the problem.

Any insight would be much appreciated!
ArArdin

Post by ArArdin »

I don't know your LG tv, maybe other owners can be more specific to address your issue.
Wrongly set x265 setting certainly can cause problems. Here however I would first check if it's a container issue. Remuxing into another container could help. Or, if your issue is with mkv, you may want to force-set "Default duration" header to the proper value during (re)mux.
I doubt cropped vs. uncropped would make a difference, for the sake of seekability.

As for x265, --keyint can indeed be set too high for certain players (speed/buffering issues). I can also imagine wrong values for VBV buffer, gop, max encoding bitrate and amount of ref frames being a cause.
For comparison of general playback & handling issues, you may want to, as you suggest already, encode with --uhd-bd set, which will keep param values within a certain restrain. In my experience, this will leave way more than enough workroom for x265 to make high quality encodes.
Should you want to compress as strong as possible for the sake of filesize, you instead may try --slower. It will take much more time over --slow, but it's where I think the merits of x265 really start kicking in.
higher

Post by higher »

The tv is a LG C8 and I wrongly said MKV container since the tv doesn't recognize Dolby Vision when it's MKV.
I muxed the RPU injected reencoded hevc with TSMuxer since Dolby Vision works this way with the internal tv player. Like I said it plays fine but seeking doesn't work.

I'm running another encode now with the --uhd-bd flag set to 1. Among other things (aud, hrd, no-open-gop) it sets --keyint 24 and --min_keyint 1
I will report back with the result and I thank you very much for your input.
higher

Post by higher »

Reencoding with the --uhd-bd flag resolved my problem. Now I can seek and stop/resume the rip on my tv. Thinking about a 2019 Shield Pro. Is there anything other than Plex that support Dolby Vision mkv playback with hd audio on the Shield?
ArArdin

Post by ArArdin »

higher wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:53 pm
Thinking about a 2019 Shield Pro. Is there anything other than Plex that support Dolby Vision mkv playback with hd audio on the Shield?
I am not familiar with both PLEX and the 2019 Shield Pro. But IIRC the Shield suffered from a red push during DV playback.
Maybe you wanna check if this has been fixed.
jojo54520

Post by jojo54520 »

Hello, i use your tutorial for inject dv in reencoded mkv.
But i lose "SMPTE ST 2086 HDR10 compatible" in final MKV.
How do to keep this HDR10 metadata in final MKV ?
Thanks.
famrofexl

Post by famrofexl »

Here is a simple python script that automates this process with x265 and dovi_tool included. It's quite primitive, but you can set the CRF and scale. When I input a 4k blu-ray mkv, the program outputs the same file with a transcoded video stream (this will likely bug out with files that have more than one video stream). Download MKVToolNix at https://www.fosshub.com/MKVToolNix.html (the portable version) and unzip it into the "transcode" folder in the zip below. Download and install python at python.org and install an ffmpeg build from https://ffmpeg.org/download.html#build-windows. Double click the "hdr_transcode.py" in the "transcode" folder and input your desired settings. Hope this helps!
Attachments
transcode.zip
(2.57 MiB) Downloaded 232 times
SciFinn

Post by SciFinn »

Hello,
I'm very new to DV muxing and the involved programs. So I found this thread and started from here.
I tried the guide with this command (I ran it in the folder where clip.mkv is at):

Code: Select all

ffmpeg -i clip.mkv -c:v copy -vbsf hevc_mp4toannexb -f hevc - | dovi_tool -m 2 extract-rpu - -o clip_RPU.bin
But I get the following error:

thread 'main' panicked at 'assertion failed: bs.get_n::<u32>(16)? == 0xFFFF', C:\Users\runneradmin\.cargo\registry\src\github.com-1ecc6299db9ec823\hevc_parser-0.6.1\src\hevc\vps.rs:44:9
note: run with `RUST_BACKTRACE=1` environment variable to display a backtrace
I don't know if I messed up something in the installation or what. ffmpeg and dovi_tools are linked in the PATH variable.
Do I need some additional programs/scripts to make this work?
quietvoid

Post by quietvoid »

SciFinn wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:31 pm
Hello,
I'm very new to DV muxing and the involved programs. So I found this thread and started from here.
I tried the guide with this command (I ran it in the folder where clip.mkv is at):

ffmpeg -i clip.mkv -c:v copy -vbsf hevc_mp4toannexb -f hevc - | dovi_tool -m 2 extract-rpu - -o clip_RPU.bin
But I get the following error:

thread 'main' panicked at 'assertion failed: bs.get_n::<u32>(16)? == 0xFFFF', C:\Users\runneradmin\.cargo\registry\src\github.com-1ecc6299db9ec823\hevc_parser-0.6.1\src\hevc\vps.rs:44:9
I don't know if I messed up something in the installation or what. ffmpeg and dovi_tools are linked in the PATH variable.
Do I need some additional programs/scripts to make this work?
Sounds like a bug in dovi_tool... or a bad file.
Does it fail fast? If so can you cut a small sample that causes the issue?
SciFinn

Post by SciFinn »

I tried running it again using the Glassblowing demo to rule out a bad file, and I get the exact same error message. After ffmpeg finishes I get a blank space in the console and after about ~50 seconds I get this error message.
I also tried to switch to mode 3 (which I suppose shouldn't make a difference?) with the same result. It does create a .bin file, its just 0KB.
Maybe I have a typo or I installed dovi_tool wrong? I just downloaded dovi from the github (The executable)
This is the whole command line from start to error, the most stuff is just ffmpeg:

PS G:\Downloads\dv_test> ffmpeg -i clip.mp4 -c:v copy -vbsf hevc_mp4toannexb -f hevc - | dovi_tool -m 2 extract-rpu - -o clip_RPU4.bin
ffmpeg version 5.1.2-full_build-www.gyan.dev Copyright (c) 2000-2022 the FFmpeg developers
  built with gcc 12.1.0 (Rev2, Built by MSYS2 project)
  configuration: --enable-gpl --enable-version3 --enable-static --disable-w32threads --disable-autodetect --enable-fontconfig --enable-iconv --enable-gnutls --enable-libxml2 --enable-gmp --enable-bzlib --enable-lzma --enable-libsnappy --enable-zlib --enable-librist --enable-libsrt --enable-libssh --enable-libzmq --enable-avisynth --enable-libbluray --enable-libcaca --enable-sdl2 --enable-libaribb24 --enable-libdav1d --enable-libdavs2 --enable-libuavs3d --enable-libzvbi --enable-librav1e --enable-libsvtav1 --enable-libwebp --enable-libx264 --enable-libx265 --enable-libxavs2 --enable-libxvid --enable-libaom --enable-libjxl --enable-libopenjpeg --enable-libvpx --enable-mediafoundation --enable-libass --enable-frei0r --enable-libfreetype --enable-libfribidi --enable-liblensfun --enable-libvidstab --enable-libvmaf --enable-libzimg --enable-amf --enable-cuda-llvm --enable-cuvid --enable-ffnvcodec --enable-nvdec --enable-nvenc --enable-d3d11va --enable-dxva2 --enable-libmfx --enable-libshaderc --enable-vulkan --enable-libplacebo --enable-opencl --enable-libcdio --enable-libgme --enable-libmodplug --enable-libopenmpt --enable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libshine --enable-libtheora --enable-libtwolame --enable-libvo-amrwbenc --enable-libilbc --enable-libgsm --enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable-libopus --enable-libspeex --enable-libvorbis --enable-ladspa --enable-libbs2b --enable-libflite --enable-libmysofa --enable-librubberband --enable-libsoxr --enable-chromaprint
  libavutil      57. 28.100 / 57. 28.100
  libavcodec     59. 37.100 / 59. 37.100
  libavformat    59. 27.100 / 59. 27.100
  libavdevice    59.  7.100 / 59.  7.100
  libavfilter     8. 44.100 /  8. 44.100
  libswscale      6.  7.100 /  6.  7.100
  libswresample   4.  7.100 /  4.  7.100
  libpostproc    56.  6.100 / 56.  6.100
Input #0, mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2, from 'clip.mp4':
  Metadata:
    major_brand     : mp42
    minor_version   : 1
    compatible_brands: mp42isomiso5
    creation_time   : 2020-10-06T22:33:34.000000Z
  Duration: 00:02:58.11, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 15517 kb/s
  Stream #0:0[0x1](und): Video: hevc (Main 10) (dvh1 / 0x31687664), yuv420p10le(pc), 1920x1080 [SAR 1:1 DAR 16:9], 15135 kb/s, 59.94 fps, 59.94 tbr, 60k tbn (default)
    Metadata:
      handler_name    : Bento4 Video Handler
      vendor_id       : [0][0][0][0]
      encoder         : DOVI Coding
    Side data:
      DOVI configuration record: version: 1.0, profile: 5, level: 5, rpu flag: 1, el flag: 0, bl flag: 1, compatibility id: 0
  Stream #0:1[0x2](und): Audio: eac3 (ec-3 / 0x332D6365), 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), fltp, 640 kb/s (default)
    Metadata:
      handler_name    : Bento4 Sound Handler
    Side data:
      audio service type: main
Output #0, hevc, to 'pipe:':
  Metadata:
    major_brand     : mp42
    minor_version   : 1
    compatible_brands: mp42isomiso5
    encoder         : Lavf59.27.100
  Stream #0:0(und): Video: hevc (Main 10) (dvh1 / 0x31687664), yuv420p10le(pc), 1920x1080 [SAR 1:1 DAR 16:9], q=2-31, 15135 kb/s, 59.94 fps, 59.94 tbr, 59.94 tbn (default)
    Metadata:
      handler_name    : Bento4 Video Handler
      encoder         : DOVI Coding
    Side data:
      DOVI configuration record: version: 1.0, profile: 5, level: 5, rpu flag: 1, el flag: 0, bl flag: 1, compatibility id: 0
Stream mapping:
  Stream #0:0 -> #0:0 (copy)
Press [q] to stop, [?] for help
frame=10490 fps=597 q=-1.0 Lsize=  323356kB time=00:02:55.00 bitrate=15136.1kbits/s speed=9.96x
video:323356kB audio:0kB subtitle:0kB other streams:0kB global headers:0kB muxing overhead: 0.000000%
PS G:\Downloads\dv_test>
quietvoid

Post by quietvoid »

SciFinn wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:05 pm
I tried running it again using the Glassblowing demo to rule out a bad file, and I get the exact same error message. After ffmpeg finishes I get a blank space in the console and after about ~50 seconds I get this error message.
I also tried to switch to mode 3 (which I suppose shouldn't make a difference?) with the same result. It does create a .bin file, its just 0KB.
Maybe I have a typo or I installed dovi_tool wrong? I just downloaded dovi from the github (The executable)
This is the whole command line from start to error, the most stuff is just ffmpeg:

PS G:\Downloads\dv_test> ffmpeg -i clip.mp4 -c:v copy -vbsf hevc_mp4toannexb -f hevc - | dovi_tool -m 2 extract-rpu - -o clip_RPU4.bin
Are you using PowerShell? If so please avoid using it when piping with FFmpeg and instead try directly using the old cmd.exe command line.
There's a known issue with PowerShell and piping binary data: https://github.com/PowerShell/PowerShell/issues/1908

It wouldn't surprise me if the data was being altered in PowerShell.
SciFinn

Post by SciFinn »

Thank you! This was it. Didn't realize that Powershell could cause problems. I've never had any problem when using ffmpeg in powershell.