Dolby Vision

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
Nodiaque

Dolby Vision

Post by Nodiaque »

Hello everyone,

I'm reading on dolby vision and saw that makemkv support it. I'm just wondering if I'm doing the right thing. I have an ISO which contain Dolby Vision and HDR10 data. I mount the iso, open with makemkv, select the track with the movie in it (only 1) and then produce the MKV. If I understand correctly, I just produced a dolby vision mkv and hdr 10?

I'm using FastFlix to make the compression after, keeping HDR data. It doesn't support Dolby Vision though. What would be the next step after the movie is compressed with FastFlix to add the Dolby Vision data back?

Thank you
Coopervid

Re: Dolby Vision

Post by Coopervid »

The first question i have if you can play DV from a MKV file?

If yes, I would recommend to do your compression first and then assemble the files again in TSMuxer with ISO as output and only then run Makemkv to produce the MKV file. TSMuxer is freeware. Look at the last steps of this guide which was created for a different issue:
https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/guide-t ... -dv.82545/

Using payware I can recommend CloneBD which will also do the compression for you and outputs the whole as an ISO. Then run that ISO through Makemkv. MKVs are also supported by CloneBD but only w/o DV.
Nodiaque

Post by Nodiaque »

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. I can play dolby vision no problem.

For the compression part, my software doesn't extract from iso. Thus using makemkv at first step to produce the untouch mkv is ok?
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

That would be cumbersome.

What is your starting point? Which format have your source files?

And why don't you load that ISO with VirtualClone Drive and demux the m2ts file, compress the 4k video data and then reassemble to ISO with TSMuxer. Then run it through Makemkv.
Nodiaque

Post by Nodiaque »

simply because that's what I always did. Extraction from makemkv take 2 min, thus I didn't bother using something else since, well, it worked for what I was doing.

I have both ISO and extracted iso (dbmv folder, etc). Makemkv remove protection (I also have AnyDVD). And since I do not compress the audio, only the video, what I used to do is in my compress stage, which output in mkv, it already include everything. So for me, it was makemkv for 1:1 mkv, then compress video which gave me a HDR10 mkv with audio tracks and subs. Also, most movie have more then 1 m2ts file used through a playlist for the whole movie, which mean I would have to hunt down each m2ts seperatly then assemble. I'm unsure how it's easier to do the m2ts directly, unless there's something I don't understand.

I'm unsure what you mean by demux the m2ts file.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

I assume you are only keeping the main movie. If yes, you can find a .m2ts file in the BDMV/STREAM folder. This is the movie file. You can then demux this movie file in it's components with TSMuxer. 4k movie part, DV part, subs and all audio files. TSMuxer just disassembles the movie in all of it's parts. Now run FastFlix on the 4k part of the movie and then assemble the compressed 4k part again with all other parts you disassembled before again to an ISO file. Then run the new ISO through makemkv.

However, the easiest way would be CloneBD. With that you can pick just the main movie with AnyDVD in the background, keep Dolby Vision and compress the output.
centuryx476

Post by centuryx476 »

How are you making the .iso in the first place ? Where MKV can recognize it ?
When I make a .iso file, mkv gives a weird error message.

I'm trying to make a workflow of Dolby Vision and making a .iso file out of Example (Midway 4K) that makemkv can recognize would be a good first step.

Thank You
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

Welcome on board!

Load the disc but don't rip to MKV in Makemkv but click the second icon in the toolbar. This rips to folder. Then use Imgburn and load the BDMV and CERTIFICATE folder (only those!) and create the ISO.
centuryx476

Post by centuryx476 »

Thank you for the welcome.
Do I select "Decrypt video files" ?

So, I see the "BDMV and CERTIFICATE" folders in the blu-ray.
Do I copy those into the folder where makemkv made the back up ?

Edit: I am actually very comfortable using all these softwares. I just need the proper steps in order!!!

Thank You
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

Don't understand...

You can backup to 1) mkv directly or 2) to folders.

Did you backup to folders?

And of course decrypt.
Nodiaque

Post by Nodiaque »

Coopervid wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:02 pm
I assume you are only keeping the main movie. If yes, you can find a .m2ts file in the BDMV/STREAM folder. This is the movie file. You can then demux this movie file in it's components with TSMuxer. 4k movie part, DV part, subs and all audio files. TSMuxer just disassembles the movie in all of it's parts. Now run FastFlix on the 4k part of the movie and then assemble the compressed 4k part again with all other parts you disassembled before again to an ISO file. Then run the new ISO through makemkv.

However, the easiest way would be CloneBD. With that you can pick just the main movie with AnyDVD in the background, keep Dolby Vision and compress the output.
Yup, I keep just the movie part. I'm just trying to understand how doing iso -> makemkv (mkv) -> fastflix (mkv) -> tsmuxer (iso) -> makemkv more cumblesome then iso -> tsmuxer (extract) -> fastflix (mkv) -> tsmuser (iso) -> makemkv.

I though about clonebd, I was a big user of clonedvd in the past, but since I start using more advanced tool and modify the command line, I haven't tried clonebd. I think last time I thinker with it, hdr didn't even exist.

But, I'm still failing on the m2ts file. When I load in makemkv, I see it load playlist which load multiple m2ts file in sequence. Thus, it means there's no 1 file for the whole movie. I think I'm missing something
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

Yeah, the whole movie consists of various m2ts files. So I suggest (if you only care for the main movie). Load disc. AnyDVD running. Rip/load only main movie with CloneBD( all features are free as long as you are not wanting to compress!) and rip to ISO or folder. Then start from there with TSMuxer etc. You have now only one big m2ts file.
let me know if you need further support.
Nodiaque

Post by Nodiaque »

Ah, ok, that's where you get the single m2ts, now I get it. I'll have to rethink my process with these new info, that add quite a lot of work for Dolby Vision. In the meantime, I'll at least do the hdr10 version.

Thanks!
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

Report back how it works. Please!

And as said: I think CloneBD is worth the money to be able to compress. But be aware it only works perfectly if you have a NVIDIA 10xx graphics card or better. If not, compression will be super slow. I bought a 1050 just to have the ability.
Last edited by Coopervid on Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nodiaque

Post by Nodiaque »

Looking at the clonebd forum, it seems it doesn't yet support dolby vision in mkv
https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/feature ... ion.78890/