Cannot run Inverse Telecine de-interlacing on MakeMKV DVD rips

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
Ronstang

Cannot run Inverse Telecine de-interlacing on MakeMKV DVD rips

Post by Ronstang »

I have had a lot of trouble with ffmpeg encoded DVD rips with stuttering and jerky playback at times when rapid motion is involved. Then I found out that this is because many DVDs use 3:3 pulldown for interacing and simply running a deinterlacer like yadif or bwdif do not properly handle the deinterlacing unless you set them up to do so. The problem I am having is whenever I run IVTC (inverse telecine) on DVD rips made with MakeMKV the resulting compressed MKV does not play correctly...it may play correctly if left to play but if you scan through the file to check it using the mouse on the timeline the video plays but the sound doesn't and if you go far enough into the file it simply goes all the way to the end of the file and stops playing.

I was told the issue was possibly MakeMKV and VFR timecodes in the resulting MKV file. I don't know enough about this but I was wondering if anyone here has any idea why I am having problems with IVTC on MakeMKV DVD rips....it works fine on my recorded cable content so I know my parameters are working correctly in FFmpeg Batch AV Converter.

I love MakeMKV, I use it all the time to rip my TV shows but many of my DVD movies have 2:3 pulldown and until I figure out this issue I cannot encode any more of them as most are bad and I have to redo them.

Thanks in advance.
Woodstock

Re: Cannot run Inverse Telecine de-interlacing on MakeMKV DVD rips

Post by Woodstock »

For DVD MKVs in handbrake, I force all frames to be deinterlaced (comb detect OFF) using "BOB" for the deinterlace setting, and detelecine on, frame rate "variable, same as source". This actually doubles the frame rate of the output and smooths most motion.

Not sure how to do that in ffmpeg.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging