MakeMKV Ripping

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
lazbaz

MakeMKV Ripping

Post by lazbaz »

I have MakeMKV_v1.16.4 and ripping Bourne Identity, does not show up English sub titles at 1:56 to 2:17 fishermen speaking.
I have ripped by ticking "subtitles PGS English" only and this and "subtitles English (Forced)".
In either case the subtitles do not show up.
I have spent several hours on it.
On the other hand "Bourne Ultimatum" ripped with just " subtitles English (Forced), shows the Russians speaking very well.
What is the solution to my problem?
Thanks
Woodstock

Re: MakeMKV Ripping

Post by Woodstock »

Subtitles are up to how the disk authors do them. There is a saying that goes back to an IBM executive, "The nice thing about standards are that there are so many of them to chose from!"

The one most-unused standard is the "forced only" flag. It's been so long since I ripped the Bourne films that I don't remember if they had a separate track for JUST the foreign audio.

The safe way to do things is to select ALL available subtitles, and view the result with something like VLC, and then chose the ones you want to save. The others can be stripped out with mkvtoolnix.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
lazbaz

Post by lazbaz »

I have tried with all the 5 of the English (Forced only) and still the subtitle does not come up.
The older (3) Bourne were in DVD format. I am ripping the Blu Ray discs and have the problem.
If I could isolate where in the chain the problem is, BD reader, MakeMKV Rip file or the playback, then I could concentrate on the offending chain.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

Open the main m2ts of the BD in Mediainfo and paste the text output here so we can have a look and maybe identify the issue. Or upload a clip to a filehoster, to do so:
  • open the main m2ts of the BD in tsmuxer
  • deselect all tracks but video track, 1 audio and all subs
  • select M2TS muxing
  • split & cut
    start 0:00:00.000
    end 0:02:18.000
  • upload the resulting m2ts and post the link here renamed to hxxp:// so the board software won't keep it in moderation.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch