Series on Blu Ray

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
daMouse

Series on Blu Ray

Post by daMouse »

When I go to rip a series, the disc usually come up with multiples to choose the episode. For example, on 1 disc that has 4 episodes, MakeMKV shows 5 titles and all of them are close to the same size, 9gig. Is there a way to tell what is what? Or do you have to rip it into the 5 titles then play them to see what is what? I would assume the episodes are in order, but that is just an assumption.
Woodstock

Re: Series on Blu Ray

Post by Woodstock »

One of several topics on this that come up when you search for "ripping series":

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=25546&p=109945
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
daMouse

Post by daMouse »

I did search and did happen to already read the one you listed. But it did not really talk about my question. But I’m gathering the only way is to guess then compare with the actual disc to be sure you numbered the episodes correctly.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

It truly depends on how the disks were authored. MOST disks will have the episodes in order by source file name (BD) or title number (DVD), but not necessarily in the order MakeMKV presents them.

Typically, MakeMKV reads the disk directory and presents the files in the order they are in in the directory. When you list a directory in Explorer or Finder, the program will sort the files by name (or age, or size, whatever parameter you chose). MakeMKV shows you the raw listing, as it were.

The info window will show you the source file name or title number when you select a title in the left window. Keeping them in order as you assign file names works at least 90% of the time.

But, sometimes you have to watch the ripped files to determine which episode is which. I typically have a wikipedia episode list up as I quickly go through the files in VLC, renaming them after seeing what episode name is displayed. For things like Star Trek, the episode name is usually within 10 seconds of when the opening theme ends.
daMouse

Post by daMouse »

That’s kind of what I came to the conclusion. Best to just check when doing it initially. Adds to the time but think works out beer in the long run. Thanks.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Hey, I managed to find the old message about the anime episodes:

Finding Correct Episode Order On Blu ray disk??

That message is 6 years old, and the request to be able to sort the list by on-disk title # or source file name goes back before that.
mizu_ger

Post by mizu_ger »

I check dvdcompare. They list runtimes by episode for some series and you can cross reference this with the runtime displayed by makemkv.

It's not perfect, but it works most of the time.