Extremely slow read rates

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
MickD

Extremely slow read rates

Post by MickD »

I'm running the latet Windows version of MakeMKV, 1.16.3 registered, on a Win7-64-bit pro machine. Been using this for years haveexperienced very few problems. I am trying to rip the Kong vs Godzilla blueray, and experiencing extremely slow read rates ( 902K/sec) and the estimated complettion time is around 8 hours and 40 minutes and climbing.
Usually it takes a little over an hour to rip a bluray from this studio. Using a Samsung external Bluray drive, SE-506BB. Been using this drive since day one with no issues. Anyone got any ideas why my read rate is so slow?
MickD

Re: Extremely slow read rates

Post by MickD »

I've tried another external blu-ray drive ( MthsTec no model number), and am getting the same read rates. Where do I go from here?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Read rates can vary widely with the quality of the disk. If the drive has to re-read portions multiple times to get a proper read, that affects the rate, as you might guess.

Does it sound like the drive is having to seek a lot? Theoretically, a disk should be a continuous track from the inside to the outside, and longer files should not involve much audible head movement. Drives rarely report read errors that they can work around in 1 or 2 attempts, but the affect the read rate.

And some disks are simply mastered in a brain-dead manner, making the head jump around to assemble the pieces.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
MickD

Post by MickD »

The reads seem to be fairly smooth and continuous, but the data rates are whacked. Trying to rip the DVD, but seeing the same data rates ( <920K/sec) . Will try the last disc I ripped to see if it does the same thing, that will tell me if my config has changed or if it's an unusually slow decryption process happening. The DVD will take 2 more hours, at least. For some reason I can't use any of my other optical drives while the MAkeMKV app is ripping.
MickD

Post by MickD »

As an experiment, I tried to play the dvd using an external usb drive, and it was choppy and the sound was intermeittent. So I put the dvd into an internal dvd drive , and it played fine. So now I'm ripping the dvd from an internal drive, and getting 12+ meg/sec reads. . I wish I had an internal bluray drive.
Oh well, I guess Amazon, here I come.
MickD

Post by MickD »

Still need to find out how to fix the usb drives.
MickD

Post by MickD »

One more experiement- putting the bluray of Unforgiven in and ripping that, gave the same results. This is an indication that the problem is in the usb drivers. Or the windows interface.
I hate how Windows has screwed us in terms of media.
MakeMkv runs on Linux, right? Hmmmm....
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Have you tried things like a power off and cold boot of your computer? Tried a different USB port, different USB cable?
MickD

Post by MickD »

Oh yes, tried the cold boot, removing the usb controller from device manager , the works. Tried every single usb port.
Either a Windows Update or a device I plugged into the usb port loaded a driver on that doesn't like me.
I have an internal SATA Blu-ray drive coming. That'll fix it.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Do you have a different computer you could (temporarily) use with the USB drive just to verify the drive, case, & cable all work correctly?
MickD

Post by MickD »

I do, but it's a work laptop and doesn't have MakeMKV installed on it. My other laptop is a Linux machine, and my other desktop is still running Windows XP because the hardware is from 1999 or so. Still does what it needs to do!
I'm fairly confident that I can get around the read rate issue by fixing the usb drivers and/or installing the internal bluray drive. I will eventually do both but the internal drive comes first.
MickD

Post by MickD »

New bluray reader/writer installed, MakeMKV is now running at around 18.1 meg a second. ( Eventully around 33 meg/sec )
Godzilla vs Kong will take about 35 minutes to rip the main title at this rate ( took just over 20 mins for the main title). A little better than 9 hours, eh?;)
Now I need to straighten out my USB driers and see why my 5 terabyte drive is being reported as a BDEROM.
It never ends, does it?

I unplugged both external bluray readers and the 5tb drive, then plugged the 5tb back in, and there it was in all its glory. Guess I'm set but those bluray drive drivers really crashed.
bmillham

Post by bmillham »

MickD wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:19 pm
My other laptop is a Linux machine
Try installing MakeMKV on the Linux laptop and test the drive there.
Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

I'm having the same issue with two different external Blu-ray drives, a Pioneer and an Asus. My USB ports work fine. I've tested them with hard drives and flash drives and get fantastic transfer rates, but even trying to play a Blu-ray on PowerDVD is choppy at best. DVD's seem to play and rip just fine, but Blu-ray's are a no go. Anyone have any thoughts? It seemed to happen after a Windows update.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

I had similar issues some time ago with an enclosure for a slim BD drive. The root cause was an outdated firmware of the USB controller in the enclosure. It was not easy to find the updated firmware and to flash it. Not a thing anybody will be able to do.