New guy here.

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
cyberwasp

New guy here.

Post by cyberwasp »

I've been looking for a dvd ripper and after trying a few came to Makemkv, While it did convert the dvd I'm unable to play it using windows media player as it says it not supported. all post say it can. Any advice would be appreciated, TIA
Woodstock

Re: New guy here.

Post by Woodstock »

That is because, by default, Windows Media Player is WAY out of date. You can download "Codec packs" to update it, or you can move on to better players that understand standards that came out after 2001.

VLC and Kodi are popular free players for most operating systems. I've used ViMu on Android with good results.

The Microsoft movie app on Windows 10 works with MKV files, I think - I don't use Win10 if I can avoid it, though.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
cyberwasp

Post by cyberwasp »

I should have mentioned. My plan is to load all my dvd's to a synology 24tb disk station using Synology's Mplex app to show them and I could be wrong but think it requires mp4 to play them
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

No, it doesn't. The Synology media server app handles MKV files just fine, even when using DLNA protocol.

Some player apps do not, though. Older Samsung TVs, for example, will not accept any file extension but "m4v" or "avi". They will play MKV files, though, if you change the file extension to "avi".

If your player handles SMB networking, you can unlock capabilities that DLNA does not support, though. On my FireTV, ViMu can access my Synology either via SMB or DLNA. If I want subtitles and switchable audio, DLNA doesn't support that very well. And MP4 format doesn't allow Bluray-type PGS subtitles in any case.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
cyberwasp

Post by cyberwasp »

Woodstock wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 10:10 pm
No, it doesn't. The Synology media server app handles MKV files just fine, even when using DLNA protocol.

Some player apps do not, though. Older Samsung TVs, for example, will not accept any file extension but "m4v" or "avi". They will play MKV files, though, if you change the file extension to "avi".
========================================================================================================================

I figured that out and installed VLC which plays them fine. Now all I need to do is find a way to connect my, "dumb TV," to my PC to watch them. My Sony flat screen is pre smart but have hooked it up via HDMI before. This time I have a new pc and hope I can use the PC while the Synology is playing a movie! I'd get a new tv but I've already spent a fortune with the Synology at 24tb