File Compression

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
bcrozierw

File Compression

Post by bcrozierw »

I'm brand new here - so apologize if the answer here is obvious ...
I'm using MakeMKV to rip my dvd and bluray library to a NAS (100 titles so far) but I'm running out of space.
My son tells me a typical 1080p move should take up less than 4 gb, but mine are averaging 25+.
How do I compress these files? ... can't find anything in Preferences
Woodstock

Re: File Compression

Post by Woodstock »

MakeMKV won't do video compression. But, tools like handbrake can.

Compressing a 1080p video to "less than 4gb" depends on how much quality you're willing to give up and how compressible the source is. Something like anime will usually compress to 10-15% of original size, but a fast-moving live-action (or special effects-laden) movie might only compress to 50% size.

Recent examples from my use, "The Russians Are Coming" was a 22GB movie on disk, and compressed to 11GB. "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" was 39GB on disk, 11GB after compressing, both with handbrake presets that favored high quality.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
bcrozierw

Post by bcrozierw »

Thank you very much.
Should I keep using Make MKV or is there a ripper that will compress its output?
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

I recently did the blu-ray Bumblebee (2018). It was a 28GB rip. I turned it into a 7.5GB h.264 file (using Handbrake & Intel QuickSync hardware encoding) and a 3.9GB 10-bit h.265 file (using ffmpeg & x265 software encoder). The h.264 took about 18 minutes because of the hardware encoding. The h.265 encode took about 3 hours, 45 minutes.

Also, big hard drives are relatively inexpensive. Putting big hard drives in your NAS to be able to skip the transcoding of your rips is a good example of trading money for time.
bcrozierw

Post by bcrozierw »

Thank you both ... I will try handbrake.
My NAS is a Synology DS420+ with 4 2TB drives.
I might have made a mistake choosing 2-drive fault tolerance when I was expecting my 600 titles to require less than 4 TB ...
Imagine my surprise when Synology tells me I'm at 80% capacity with 100 rips.
I guess I'll go on the Synology Forum to see if I can recover some of that extra space.