How do I create an MKV and maintain Dolby Vision

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
konga056

How do I create an MKV and maintain Dolby Vision

Post by konga056 »

Sorry for such a noob question but I can't seem to figure out how to create an MKV and maintain Dolby Vision.

For example I have a UHD of 1917. When I select the track that has chapters on it and play it through Kodi its only showing HDR. With Kodi 19 it supposedly supports Dolby Vision now but for the life of me I can't seem to figure it out.

Searching the forums I see mentions of profile 5 and profile 7 but not sure how to select this?

Any help is much appreciated!
Woodstock

Re: How do I create an MKV and maintain Dolby Vision

Post by Woodstock »

There are two major topics covering making Dolby Vision playable, and it isn't a "do this and you're done" sort of thing.

There is no simple recipe, and you have to deal with some tools that do not have graphic interfaces.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
konga056

Post by konga056 »

Can you point me to the two topics?
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

I wrote an answer to this question specifically about the Apple TV, but it applies generally.

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 67#p103542

I don't use Kodi, so I can't comment on it. I do use Plex, and recent versions of the Plex server do acknowledge the Dolby Vision in movies like 1917. I do not, however, have a client capable to playing DV, even though I have a TV capable of DV.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Top of the UHD Disk forum: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux (over 4,500 messages on how to make it work).

Also MakeMKV 1.15.4 and Dolby Vision and 1.15.1 discuss creating MKV files with DV in them (and what it takes to play them).
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging