Strange King of Queens video file differences

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
mandmdiet

Strange King of Queens video file differences

Post by mandmdiet »

Hey, I have a few places I think I need to go to get all of the information for this particular issue, but I thought I'd stop by here first to see what light can be shed on on this. I am doing a backup of King of Queens using MakeMkv and I have what I would consider to be an odd issue. When ripping the first disc I get 7 large m2ts files. They all play fine using VLC, but when I put them on my plex media server and try to play them all but one play correctly. The one that doesn't play well is episode 1 of the disc. When I try to play this on Plex I get inconsistent results. It works fine in a browser, but when played from the android Plex client it just displays a green screen, the CPU on the Plex server jumps to 100% and the client hangs. Obviously, this is not a MakeMkv problem, but, I did some further investigation because I wanted to know why these files were treated differently. I downloaded an app called media info to compare the differences in the files and there are some. My question to you folks is, is this normal and if anyone knows why they would be different. Maybe because it's the pilot episode they used different equipment to make it? I don't know. Attached is a screenshot of the differences, the part cut off at the top just lists the file name and the file sizes. The left-hand side of the diff is the episode 1 video.
Attachments
media diffs.png
media diffs.png (149.24 KiB) Viewed 6258 times
dcoke22

Re: Strange King of Queens video file differences

Post by dcoke22 »

The one on the left is a 30fps 1080i video. I'd say that's not common but not inherently weird. Are you playing the m2ts files directly? What if you let MakeMKV make a .mkv file?
mandmdiet

Post by mandmdiet »

Oh, I can try that, is that a lossless change? I have already used handbrake to make an m4v that is working fine, but I'd prefer to use a lossless process if it's available.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

A .mkv file is just a container, so there's no compression or whatever compared to what's on the disc.

MakeMKV FAQ: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=24388
Ezatoka

Post by Ezatoka »

Plus the m2ts file has no information about chapters (and I think about language of the tracks as well).

Plus sometimes movies are splitted into a ton of m2ts files.
mandmdiet

Post by mandmdiet »

Thanks everyone