Dolby Vision Rips Playback with Apple TV 4K?

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
makini__

Dolby Vision Rips Playback with Apple TV 4K?

Post by makini__ »

Hi everyone,

I am quite late to the party but want to start ripping my UHD collection as I really enjoy using my Apple TV 4K with Infuse (or Plex) but I am totally confused with the whole Dolby Vision / Dolby Vision + HD Audio debate.

Am I right in my understanding that with MakeMKV I am able to rip Dolby Vision UHD so that I am “prepared” for the future if there will be any new devices etc.?

For now, what will be the drawbacks with playing back UHD DV material?

Thanks a lot for every reply!
dcoke22

Re: Dolby Vision Rips Playback with Apple TV 4K?

Post by dcoke22 »

The short, short version of a long nuanced conversation is this… The Apple TV 4K supports Dolby Vision profile 5. This is the version of DV that streaming like Netflix uses. UHDs with Dolby Vision use profile 7, which is what MakeMKV produces. Apple TV does not support profile 7 and it is up to Apple to provide support to do so. Infuse or Plex or others can not provide it on their own (as I understand it). Almost all DV on UHDs has 'fallback' HDR10 as well. Plex, Infuse or others on Apple TV 4K will play this video just fine. Plex server can now recognize the Dolby Vision profile 7 .mkv files that MakeMKV produces. The number of Plex clients that can play those files, however, is still very small. I think it is primarily the 2019 Nvidia Shield Pro, but it isn't without problems.

This is just a point in time statement. A year ago, MakeMKV could not extract and properly store DV at all, but now it can. It has probably only been within the last 6 months that Plex server could recognize a .mkv with DV profile 7. A year from now, the state of DV profile 7 capable clients will undoubtedly be different and likely better.
makini__

Post by makini__ »

Thank you so much for the effort you spent to reply. This answers all my questions!
makini__

Post by makini__ »

So I can safely rip my UHD DV Atmos BDs with the latest MakeMKV (1.15.4) and not worry about having to re-rip to make it work on the Apple TV Plus 6 8K that finally supports profile 7 DV, right? 😁
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Never say never, of course… but in general I think the way MakeMKV stores DV data in a .mkv file is pretty well set. Myself, and I think a lot of posters here are waiting for and hopeful for some future player that just plays DV .mkv files without any fuss.

I know of no reason not rip your UHDs now.
UrbanLegend

Post by UrbanLegend »

Has anyone tried native mp4 support for UHD HDR on Apple TV 4K?

You can use ffmpeg to copy the mkv with full fidelity. Just make sure you use the -vtag hvec tag when running ffmpeg.

MediaInfo reports the same HDR mastering/luminance details on the mp4 file.

You can then add these files to a mac Apple TV library and share them. https://support.apple.com/guide/tv/stre ... 6df1e/tvos

I find playback still doesn't support the correct HDR luminance though. It works better through Plex.

Anyone have any ideas?
rizarefaldi

Post by rizarefaldi »

UrbanLegend wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:36 pm
Has anyone tried native mp4 support for UHD HDR on Apple TV 4K?

You can use ffmpeg to copy the mkv with full fidelity. Just make sure you use the -vtag hvec tag when running ffmpeg.

MediaInfo reports the same HDR mastering/luminance details on the mp4 file cara install windows 10

You can then add these files to a mac Apple TV library and share them. https://support.apple.com/guide/tv/stre ... 6df1e/tvos

I find playback still doesn't support the correct HDR luminance though. It works better through Plex.

Anyone have any ideas?
me too, still doesn't support the correct HDR luminance right now.