Dolby Vision/ HDR10+ mkv files on newest Nvidia shield pro | plex

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
Giffdev

Dolby Vision/ HDR10+ mkv files on newest Nvidia shield pro | plex

Post by Giffdev »

Hey all,
I am new to this hobby of backing up all my movies for Plex, and was happy to see that being late to the party meant that it looks like the latest MakeMKV supports ripping Dolby Vision. I have spent the last few days backing up a bunch of my 4k disks (and dvds and blu rays, but let's forget about them for now) onto a hard drive, which I then plugged into my brand new Nvidia Shield Pro, and set up my first plex server. This was all very exciting, and seeing my library at my fingertips anytime working like a charm was really cool after lurking a lot on the forums learning how to do all this.

However, the one thing keeping me from putting all my disks into storage is that on the Plex app running on my Nvidia shield Pro, I see all my 4k content listed as HDR, even for disks I ripped that I know had Dolby Vision or HDR10+. I know that HDR is great, but I want to eke everything I can out of my tv and system, and would love if someone could clarify why Plex isn't listing this as HDR10+ and/or Dolby Vision when those are presumably available. I am hoping that all I had to do was use the latest version of MakeMKV (and I was especially happy to see my Atmos tracks came over perfectly) would get me the best picture and sound, but now I'm worried that I've done something wrong.

Thanks in advance for any help and tips.

Edit: for bonus points, I thought I'd ripped a few disks that had DTS:X tracks, but they seem to play as Dolby Atmos when playing on plex. Anyone have advice here to what's happening or how to get the DTS:X to be recognized properly? This isn't as big a concern to me as the picture issues, but thought I'd toss it out there :)
Halmearo

Re: Dolby Vision/ HDR10+ mkv files on newest Nvidia shield pro | plex

Post by Halmearo »

Did you tweak the 4K mkvs in some way to get them to show up in Plex? My naming being correct.
Regards,
jayper

Post by jayper »

Long story short:

- Plex does not support Dolby Vision in an MKV yet. No video players do.
- The support for Dolby Vision in MakeMKV (1.15.1) was initially done without input from the development team at MKV who manage standards, and implementation within the container.
- Since the release of 1.15.1, the team at MKV has defined how Dolby Vision metadata should be stored in MKV files, which will allow for an update of MakeMKV to store metadata per the new spec.
- Once a new version of MakeMKV is out that utilizes the new spec, video players can start to build support to playback Dolby Vision in MKVs. All of this will not happen over night.
LGans316

Post by LGans316 »

I have now ripped 400+ UHDs using latest MakeMKV. Wondering if there is any external media player that supports playback of MKVs in Dolby Vision?
Rumourd

Post by Rumourd »

LGans316 wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:28 am
I have now ripped 400+ UHDs using latest MakeMKV. Wondering if there is any external media player that supports playback of MKVs in Dolby Vision?
Holy hell, how long did that take you?? I didn't know 400 UHDs were even available yet...
LGans316

Post by LGans316 »

More than 1000 UHDs have been released lol. I own nearly 70% of them but now switching to iTunes Digital as I have reached my tipping point with collecting physical media. :roll:
Rumourd

Post by Rumourd »

LGans316 wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:14 am
More than 1000 UHDs have been released lol. I own nearly 70% of them but now switching to iTunes Digital as I have reached my tipping point with collecting physical media. :roll:
My lord. I wish I possessed that kind of disposable income...
Adam_Cz3rw0ny

Post by Adam_Cz3rw0ny »

Hey everyone,

I was browsing through the forum and it seems that this is the closest related topic to the question that I have.
Any progress with being able to play MKV files with Dolby Vision & Atmos layer? I tried checking all the changelogs and other materials but this topic is actually quite advanced to someone new like myself.

Thanks a lot for support & sorry for my lack of knowledge in the topic.

KR
THX-UltraII

Post by THX-UltraII »

I have the exact same question as above
samlop10

Post by samlop10 »

Same question here as well. It seems DV + AC-3 (non Atmos) is possible but has there been any success on having / playing a ripped Dolby Vision + Atmos disc on Plex?

I have quite a few 4K discs with like half having DV and Atmos so keeping both while being able to save them and playing them the same through a server would be the dream lol.
supra2jzgte

Post by supra2jzgte »

I can confirm this is working now. If you load a UHD disc into MakeMKV (Latest October 2020 release) it will extract the Dolby Vision metadata correctly and insert it into your MKV file. Then, use the latest nVidia Shield with Dolby Vision to playback in Plex and it works flawlessly. Make sure you use a 18 or higher Gbps HDMI cable from the Shield to your AV receiver and or TV or you will have problems.
AviSingh

Post by AviSingh »

supra2jzgte wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:22 am
I can confirm this is working now. If you load a UHD disc into MakeMKV (Latest October 2020 release) it will extract the Dolby Vision metadata correctly and insert it into your MKV file. Then, use the latest nVidia Shield with Dolby Vision to playback in Plex and it works flawlessly. Make sure you use a 18 or higher Gbps HDMI cable from the Shield to your AV receiver and or TV or you will have problems.
will the same be work if i rip using the full BD folder downloaded from net?

And you are using which version of MakeMKV.
Warmongerx

Post by Warmongerx »

supra2jzgte wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:22 am
This appears to be brand dependent on which TV you ended up getting. Is it player led or tv led playback for DV. it appears Sony owners cannot get this to work currently because Sony chose to go with player led DV playback (mentioned on AVSforums.com). I just bought a new Sony TV on Black Friday and my new Nvidia Shield Pro will be here later today. I'll be testing this out over the next week.
jayf95

Post by jayf95 »

Could you expand on this for me please? What do you mean by player led vs tv led? I also just bought a sony tv on BF, the x900h.What are the implications of it being player led vs tv led DV? As I understand it, with one of sonys recent updates they introduced TV led DV on the x900h. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2WDVRR4WV0&t=19s

thanks
ChiroRipper

Post by ChiroRipper »

I have a 2016 Sony 75Z9D-it is a device Led Dolby vision TVs. Does this mean I am not able to get Dolby vision from Makemkv to a shield pro on this tv or has this been fixed?