Blu-ray players usb freezing playing mkv files

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
213karaokejoe

Blu-ray players usb freezing playing mkv files

Post by 213karaokejoe »

I have two Blu-ray players One a Sony, the other LG both of them sometimes have problems playing MKV files either burned onto a data disc, dvd or blue ray, or reading off a drive in USB. I can't tell what causes the problem, but the result is the same. The players will eventually freeze up and require that I unplug the player and start over. It generally happens when I am fast forwarding or flipping through the subtitles. It's almost like doing this is too much for the player. It feels to me like maybe it has to do with the kind of subtitle files on the original dvds. So far converting to M2ts with tsmuxer creates files that play with no problem. I think this program also erases some of the subtitle files.

Sometimes I create the MKV files directly from the original DVD's, sometimes from a DVD Shrink(ed) folder, Sometimes from a DVD that was created using DVD Shrink

Without turning my players upside down and getting their exact model number, is there some idea of what is going on? I would love to be able to have 100's of gigs of movies on one searchable drive and control them through the device remote. I am close to doing that, but not perfect. It seems that just connecting my computer to the Tv and playing the files with VLC does not have the same problem. (But no remote convenience, and I can't work on computer and watch TV at the same time)
oldschool6166

Re: Blu-ray players usb freezing playing mkv files

Post by oldschool6166 »

I've had this same issue playing MKVs on a Sony player and it does appear to have something to do with the subtitles. It only seems to happen with MKVs with the subtitles embedded within the container. If I remux the file without the subtitles, it plays fine.

This is a bummer because I have hundreds of MKVs ripped from DVDs and I don't see any other option but to remux them... or find another player. But the OP mentioned this happens on an LG too.