Anyone tried DVDFab Enlarger AI?

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
maretedkatiegrace

Re: Anyone tried DVDFab Enlarger AI?

Post by maretedkatiegrace »

I get much better results using TOPAZ VIDEO AI, it is FAR smoother than DVDFAB AI upscale. Also topaz can change FPS without just duplicating frames. I gave up on DVDFAB other than to help verify which mpls file it is on a blu-ray...
clenchdwarf

Post by clenchdwarf »

TLDR. It seems unnecessary, unless you need to generate fake high-res files for some reason. The scaling on smart TVs and media players is generally very very good. I've played an anamorphic widescreen DVD mkv on a 55" 4K TV and it looks like film. Soft, but no annoying scan lines or stair-steps. My WDTV Live and Live Plus set-top media players also upscale and zoom without introducing any artifacts. Blowing up a 4:3 letterboxed image by 20% to crop the bars and fill a wide screen results in a softer picture, but not objectionable. I used to shrink pictures by 10% to compensate for the overscan on my CRT TV; no visible degradation.
maretedkatiegrace

Post by maretedkatiegrace »

So you have not used Topaz Video Enhance AI then. I too have a newer TV, and have tried playing DVD rips directly thru plex on an Apple tv 4K, they are pretty good. Topaz upscaling and enhancing looks like a quite a bit better. DVDFab upscaled does not look good. Adobe Premier on a friends video edit station, very good results. When I play the two clips at home loaded on my plex server, they seem about the same, both very good at about 6-8 feet back, when you walk to the TV, 12 inches away to examine pixels the topaz is smoother edges after upscaling 480i to 1080p or 480p to 1080p. There are no artifacts or scan lines left when it upscales 480i, none at all. And especially if you let topaz change the fps to 59.94 it can also detect and get rid of any duplicate frames. Some DVD's were produced at 29.97 and some others at 30fps, most were 23.97. Topaz can deal with a DVD where the producer duplicated some frames on the DVD to make it seem smoother at the time, it will remove them. You should buy the product first, then try it on your TV a DVD rip source direct to your tv, then let DVDFAb try to upscale the exact same video clip to 1080p then play it, its so so at best. Not the real thing, I don't use DVDFAb anymore but I have my license. Then let Topaz upscale the same video clip, enhance with Proteus and then also use Chronos to move the fps to 59.94 and play it, and you will see its better than your TV. I'm on a Sony 55" HDR 4K LED, X75K, about $500. Of course Samsung does have some amazing TV's out that are WAY beyond my budget, $2,500 range, those I have not tested, so they could be slightly better than Topaz, though I don't really see how.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Is this the software you're talking about: Topaz Video AI?

Since that seems to cost $300, I hope the results are quite good. :)