device does not exist

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
daneph

device does not exist

Post by daneph »

what would cause a OS error of device does not exist when it has already read the chapter info and id writing the mkv file?
I am trying a external usb blu ray drive on windows 10
the drive is still there in file explorer
daneph

Re: device does not exist

Post by daneph »

Error 'OS error - This device does not exist' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00006.m2ts' at offset '1001521152'
Error 'OS error - The volume for a file has been externally altered such that the opened file is no longer valid' occurred while reading '\Device\CdRom1' at offset '1001521152'
Error 'OS error - The volume for a file has been externally altered such that the opened file is no longer valid' occurred while reading '\Device\CdRom1' at offset '1001521152'
Error 'OS error - This device does not exist' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00006.m2ts' at offset '1001521152'
Failed to save title 1 to file C:/mvkfiles/Rush_Beyond_the_Lighted_Stage_t01.mkv
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

A common issue with USB drives that are powered by the USB port (no separate power supply) is that they simply run out of power when asked to go fast. MakeMKV can read data faster than most programs that access optical media, so a drive might be spun up above 2x speed, when the USB port can only supply enough power to run at 2x. Drive shuts down, operating system can't talk to it any more, and it reports an error.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
daneph

Post by daneph »

any way to slow it down?
daneph

Post by daneph »

or a way to copy disc to my hard drive and run from there?
daneph

Post by daneph »

I would think that would be it as I have a cheap same powered blu ray however, I am doing a copy to my hard drive and its spinning so fast its about to take off so seems to have enough power
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Your operating system may not let you access the disk directly to "just copy it" to your hard drive. And, unfortunately, there is not currently a way to tell MakeMKV to slow down.

Primary way of fixing the power issue is to make sure the USB port you plug into is "fully powered". If you plug into a hub, that hub must either have its own power supply, or you won't get "full power". Many laptops do not give "full power" to the USB ports unless they are charging.

One make-shift "throttle" for this issue is to write to a slow device. I recently found out that if my Synology server has the wrong network cable, it will slow ripping speeds quite a bit. But a more practical way to test all of this is to write to a USB flash drive. Most will limit you to about 4x ripping speed, which should be within the power limits of most USB ports. Just make sure the flash drive is formatted as either exFAT or NTFS, to be able to handle large files.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
daneph

Post by daneph »

update: gave my usb hub a full power to the wall and works great
thanks for the help
baronluigi

Post by baronluigi »

Woodstock wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:28 am
Your operating system may not let you access the disk directly to "just copy it" to your hard drive. And, unfortunately, there is not currently a way to tell MakeMKV to slow down.

Primary way of fixing the power issue is to make sure the USB port you plug into is "fully powered". If you plug into a hub, that hub must either have its own power supply, or you won't get "full power". Many laptops do not give "full power" to the USB ports unless they are charging.

One make-shift "throttle" for this issue is to write to a slow device. I recently found out that if my Synology server has the wrong network cable, it will slow ripping speeds quite a bit. But a more practical way to test all of this is to write to a USB flash drive. Most will limit you to about 4x ripping speed, which should be within the power limits of most USB ports. Just make sure the flash drive is formatted as either exFAT or NTFS, to be able to handle large files.
Half a year ago I posted this

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=25798&p=110877#p110877

And know, the opposite started happening. My drive keeps disconnecting after a little while. If it were because of the speed...How was I able to get those speeds in the past?

I tried it in different USB ports and the problem keeps happening.