Win explorer crashes when I navigate to folder with MKVs?!?

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
NomadCF

Re: Win explorer crashes when I navigate to folder with MKVs?!?

Post by NomadCF »

wongnog wrote:Same thing happens to me with 1.5.2. Using Win7 x64 and recently uninstalled DivX, now only have ffdshow installed. Gonna try installing the new DivX Play 8.0. Only crashes when opening folder where MakeMKV just output the MKVs created. Only solution I have is to log off or restart the system. Hoping a fix could be found soon and released in 1.5.3 because this is quite annoying!
Or just simply disable/switch to a non thumbnail view. The crashing is happening from the thumbnails being created/generated. If you have Combined Community Codec Pack installed. But go back into the settings (start,programs,"Combined Community Codec Pack".settings). Then goto the second screen and put a check next to the "Play .MKV files with".

OR if you on a vista box:

Code: Select all

1. Open the Windows Explorer. [Simply open Computer, or Documents, or some folder of your choice.]
2. Just below the address bar, towards the left, you can see the Organize button that has a small arrow with it for a drop down menu.
3, Clicking on Organize, a drop-down menu shows up, and you have to select the Folder and Search Options in this menu.
4. A dialog will pop-up called Folder Options. Select the View tab.
5. You will see an Advanced Settings menu, where the first option is typically Always show icons, never thumbnails. Select (check) the checkbox next to this option.
6. Click OK.
OR if you only use something like XBMC to play your movies, you could just simply disassociate a player for your movie files.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

wongnog wrote:Same thing happens to me with 1.5.2. Using Win7 x64 and recently uninstalled DivX, now only have ffdshow installed. Gonna try installing the new DivX Play 8.0. Only crashes when opening folder where MakeMKV just output the MKVs created. Only solution I have is to log off or restart the system. Hoping a fix could be found soon and released in 1.5.3 because this is quite annoying!
This is not a MakemKV issue. Did you try a solution described by NomadCF in this topic earlier?
ecchimo

Post by ecchimo »

It only happens with MKV's made using 1.5.2. Not previous versions and not those made by other programs such as Pavtube. Not sure what is causing it then.
factory15

Post by factory15 »

Not sure it has anything to do with thumbnails, you try to open from divx (or any program) and it happily displays thumbnails.

I believe this has been happening to me since .10 or so and what I've noticed is that it's not the fact that you've navigated to the folder but that you've 'selected' (ie. single left click) one of the mkv files.

I think when you navigate to a folder using win7 it auto selects the first file...if that's an MKV you're done. If you put another file there in the folder, a file that shows up first alphabetically you'll notice that the folder will display fine (thumbnails and all) provided that IT is the one selected.

But as soon as you select an MKV file- lets say you want to move it somewhere else- that's when it crashes..even when in detail mode where it doesnt display the thumbnail.

Of course I dont know if this problem is anything to do with MakeMKV but it is the only variable on my system that i know of....and more importantly MKVs created with version .10 of MakeMKV display and can be selected without issue..so not sure what else to think.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@factory15

Hi!
Not sure it has anything to do with thumbnails

But have you actually
tried the proposed "fix"?
NomadCF

Post by NomadCF »

factory15 wrote:Not sure it has anything to do with thumbnails, you try to open from divx (or any program) and it happily displays thumbnails.

I believe this has been happening to me since .10 or so and what I've noticed is that it's not the fact that you've navigated to the folder but that you've 'selected' (ie. single left click) one of the mkv files.

I think when you navigate to a folder using win7 it auto selects the first file...if that's an MKV you're done. If you put another file there in the folder, a file that shows up first alphabetically you'll notice that the folder will display fine (thumbnails and all) provided that IT is the one selected.

But as soon as you select an MKV file- lets say you want to move it somewhere else- that's when it crashes..even when in detail mode where it doesnt display the thumbnail.

Of course I dont know if this problem is anything to do with MakeMKV but it is the only variable on my system that i know of....and more importantly MKVs created with version .10 of MakeMKV display and can be selected without issue..so not sure what else to think.
Correct, there are really 2 thumbnails for every file. 1 that you can have shown when you navigate to a folder see all the current file, and the second is on the left hand size under the "details" column. Either OR can be the issue, which is a shame. And the under lying problem comes from the way windows has to get the 1st frame from the file using the default player. Now the 1st one this being the files thumbnail tends not to be the issues as it's created and cached. But for what ever reason the Icon/image under details in the left column us generated on the fly. And in your case is probably the issue.
factory15

Post by factory15 »

setarip_old wrote:@factory15

But have you actually
tried the proposed "fix"?

Thank you for using an alternate color in your post- it made it much easier to read and understand.

Yes I tried the fix and it made no difference on my box.
jonathanrn

Re: Win explorer crashes when I navigate to folder with MKVs

Post by jonathanrn »

I am having this problem. I tried the temporary solution with hiding the thumbnails and it sort of works but with no reliability at all. Any other suggestions? I managed to get to a point where if I double click on it VERY QUICKLY, I can sometimes get away without crashing explorer.

-Jonathan
NomadCF

Post by NomadCF »

Disable your thumbnails then

1. Open up "Haali Media Splitter Settings"
2. Goto/click on the "options" tab
3. Expand the "Explorer Integration" tree/branch
4. Click on "Enable Thumbnail Extraction"
5. set the value to "NO"
6. click Apply
7. click OK
bassballboy

Post by bassballboy »

Hey all, I'm having this issue as well. I just ripped Futurama, and its crashing like crazy.

I changed it to display icons only, and got it to show up as small icnons, if I switch to detailed list is crashes, and if I even click the files it crashes..... any ideas?

EDIT: I'm using divx as well, can anyone post a link to another package that I can use?
EDIT : Just wanted to note that now I can't play any of the mkv's I made yesterday, but they were fine last night. Also, mkv's I've downloaded play fine and without issue. I think the problem lies with makemkv....
twa000

Post by twa000 »

I have to say it cannot be Makemkv - at least in my case :!:

I keep all my movies on a networked Raid. Every so often I have this problem on my main PC where I have all my main software and codec software including Divx and ffdshow etc.
However using my laptop or one of the other desktop PC's which have neither Divx or ffdshow, I can play quite happily with all the MKV's without having any problems, so it is not Makemkv but in one of the codec's. Removing both Divx and ffdshow from the desktop PC does not solve the problem (but also does not mean they are not the culprit as often things are left behind - and any way I need ffdshow for other software!)

To be honest I don't remember having the problem until I installed Divx, but that is no proof of anything either :twisted: I have just too many of these packages for manipulation and anyone of them could have started the problem!
A clean install of Win 7 would be the solution, but too big a job, unless I am forced to do so some time in the future as I run all the movies from the Raid to a HDI Dune player and therefore NOT from my main desktop PC which has the BluRay drive installed and is just used for DVD copy and transformation to MKV etc.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

I've been testing MakeMKV over the weekend (LOVE IT so far!) and I, too, ran into this annoying issue. For me, the problem went away after I uninstalled fully Divx 8. :( It happened on 3 different machines, and stopped happening as soon as I fully uninstalled Divx. Don't know if this will help anyone or not but for me it's seems related to having Divx installed.
bassballboy

Post by bassballboy »

SamuriHL wrote:I've been testing MakeMKV over the weekend (LOVE IT so far!) and I, too, ran into this annoying issue. For me, the problem went away after I uninstalled fully Divx 8. :( It happened on 3 different machines, and stopped happening as soon as I fully uninstalled Divx. Don't know if this will help anyone or not but for me it's seems related to having Divx installed.
What are you using now instead of divx?
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

bassballboy wrote: What are you using now instead of divx?
I had only bought Divx 8 for the converter anyway. I use mpc-hc+ffdshow (x64) for most everything. It plays back the MakeMKV files extremely well. I've only been at this MKV movie conversion thing for a couple days now, testing out MakeMKV. So far this is absolutely wonderful. MKV is about to become my goto container of choice. As for Divx, I'll look into it again when I have a chance, but, I'm not the only one who's had issues there.
astrocramp

Post by astrocramp »

Maybe this helps somebody, but I disabled AnyDVD and a few other programs running in the background and this problem went away for me.