Win explorer crashes when I navigate to folder with MKVs?!?

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
twa000

Re: Win explorer crashes when I navigate to folder with MKVs

Post by twa000 »

SamuriHL wrote:Good luck with the Divx correspondence. AFAIK this has been an issue for MANY versions of Divx. When I was searching for a resolution it seemed this problem went back many years. Ultimately I uninstalled it but would love to be able to use the converter for some other projects I do.
OK even with DivXThumbnailProvider.dll and DivXpropertyHandler.dll renamed, thumbnails work but as far as I can test at the moment so does the DivX software
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

twa000 wrote:
SamuriHL wrote:Good luck with the Divx correspondence. AFAIK this has been an issue for MANY versions of Divx. When I was searching for a resolution it seemed this problem went back many years. Ultimately I uninstalled it but would love to be able to use the converter for some other projects I do.
OK even with DivXThumbnailProvider.dll and DivXpropertyHandler.dll renamed, thumbnails work but as far as I can test at the moment so does the DivX software
I guess I'll have to give this a try. Thanks!
twa000

Post by twa000 »

Well I received my response from DivX tonight which was a very polite - Take a Walk Corporate response.

I would suggest anyone with DivX just remove it from their system
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

twa000 wrote:Well I received my response from DivX tonight which was a very polite - Take a Walk Corporate response.

That was unfortunately the response I was expecting...
twa000

Post by twa000 »

SamuriHL wrote:
twa000 wrote:Well I received my response from DivX tonight which was a very polite - Take a Walk Corporate response.

That was unfortunately the response I was expecting...
The good news is that I ran CCleaner (which I use to cleanup my system) removed the 4 inproc entries in the registry when I ran the registry cleaner, which means that I could rename the 2 modules back. So thumbnails now work OK, and I have a fairly clean "vanilla" system.

So as all the other registry entries for DivX are untouched it "should" all work :wink:

As I paid for the DivX Pro upgrade, at least I feel that I now may have some return on the investment.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

I still haven't had a chance to play with it yet. Maybe this weekend. I'm seeing if I have the money to upgrade my two network switches to gigabit today so I may be a bit busy rewiring my house. Nonetheless, this is something I'd like to have working so I'll be looking into it when I get some time.
bigdad

Post by bigdad »

I have problems understanding all the above.

I use W7 in 32bit and 64bit versions on two computers.
Since I use MKV to covert from m2ts to mkv my explorer crashes when I try to access the file.
All other mkv files I have created (handbrake, mediacoder, etc.) don't show this behaviour.
Even another file browser showed after a little while the same behavior.

So what does the mkv files created with Makemkv have in difference to other mkv files?
Is there a method I can follow to avoid these explorer crashes initiated by makemkv files?
Regards

BigDad
poloup

Post by poloup »

I do not have DivX installed, so my problem does not come from it. The workaround I found was to use another explorer like TotalCommander. With it no crash at all, even with moving the folder containing the mkv file to another dirtectory.
ViperGeek

Post by ViperGeek »

I just upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate, installed a BD-RE drive, and installed MakeMKV all at the same time, so I was troubleshooting lots of variables before I found this thread (thank you, BTW). I totally agree that it's Windows Explorer's fault, although the trigger definitely seems to be the way MakeMKV creates the MKV files. I test-converted the main video track of WALL-E using MakeMKV 1.6.3 and taking all the defaults. As soon as Explorer previewed the thumbnail of the otherwise perfect MKV file, it crashed, and crashed, and crashed. I then test-drove DVDFab 8.0.6.5, converting the same video track to MKV and the thumbnail didn't crash Explorer. Odd ...

I then went back to MakeMKV and shut off every subtitle -- even the "mandatory" ones -- and re-created the MKV. Voila! Explorer no longer crashes when trying to generate the thumbnail.

This may be a very, very specific instance and workaround, but figured I'd share my experiences with the rest of the class, just in case it helps someone else.

I'm still on the fence between MakeMKV (far easier to use) and DVDFab. They're both approximately the the same US$ price so it'll really come down to conversion quality, speed, and flexibility.

– Dave
ViperGeek

Post by ViperGeek »

ViperGeek wrote:I'm still on the fence between MakeMKV (far easier to use) and DVDFab. They're both approximately the the same US$ price so it'll really come down to conversion quality, speed, and flexibility.
I take that back. I just traversed the twisty passages of DVDFab's licensing costs. It's $60 for DVDFab Blu-ray Copy or Blu-ray Ripper, or $100 for both. Those are all one-year licensing prices. It's $20 more per year for extended licenses and $174.60 for a lifetime license. OUCH! As far as I know, MakeMKV includes both the Copy and Ripper functionality for $50 making it a much, much better deal.

– Dave
shadeblack

Post by shadeblack »

I had this problem just now after removing all my old codecs and media players from a win7 hp 64 bit machine.

I then cleared my registry and re-installed the 64 bit versions of k-lite codec pack and windows media player classic.
After using mkv merge to put subs into the container, explorer started crashing after navigating to that folder.

after seeing some comments, i went to:
start > all programs > k-lite codec pack x64 > tools > codec tweak tool.
from there you can set the thumbnails for videos to windows default, which immediately fixed this problem.
disco_fever

Post by disco_fever »

I have this problem as well. MKV's created with MakeMKV causes Windows Explorer to crash. Highlighting/clicking/right clicking the MKV causes Explorer to restart. I really wish I knew the cause of this. MKV's created with other applications do not cause this behavior.

It is obviously a quirk with MakeMKV considering other software does not do this.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

Hi!

Did you read the fix that's included in the post by "shadeblack" that immediately precedes your post?
after seeing some comments, i went to:
start > all programs > k-lite codec pack x64 > tools > codec tweak tool.
from there you can set the thumbnails for videos to windows default, which immediately fixed this problem.

SWRogue

Post by SWRogue »

Well its not all MKVs. I find that its MKVs I make with MakeMKV that have subtitles.
I did not have this problem till I started getting lazy, and not unselecting subtitles.
I could also be a file size problem only happens when I have MKVs over say 15Gig, at that size it maybe taking to long for windows to make the Thumbnail.
But for me disabling thumbnails and going to detail view in the directory that has the larger MKVs with subtitles made with MakeMKV seams to work.
chris4beta

Post by chris4beta »

This has started happening for me once I upgraded to v1.6.15, never used to happen. This has nothing to do with thumbnails, the files are listed in details view. As the metadata is being loaded into the file list (date modified), Explorer hangs and crashes. Any folder containing a MKV created with MakeMKV v1.6.15 reproduces the crash on Win7 64.

Crash details:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: explorer.exe
Application Version: 6.1.7601.17567
Application Timestamp: 4d672ee4
Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.17514
Fault Module Timestamp: 4ce7c8f9
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00000000000532d0
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48