very low audio output on ripped dvd to MKV

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
guymad

very low audio output on ripped dvd to MKV

Post by guymad » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:16 am

I have a Antec Fusion X2 Media Centre PC running Window 7 64Bit and windows media centre soft ware.
My question is I ripped all my dvd's using "MakeMKV" software and down loaded the codex required to run MKV on windows media centre and get a great picture but the sound is really very low about 10% of where it should be- checked the sound mixer on the pc and not a problem,played a dvd which was ripped AVI and perfect, Tried playing music via itunes and works perfectly so not a hardware issue so leads me to think it is either:
- The ripping process to MKV - but do not think so as there is no area in their software to modify sound o/p level.
- Codex issues

Ideas please???

leenuss

Re: very low audio output on ripped dvd to MKV

Post by leenuss » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:54 pm

Most likely, your MKV contains the original surround sound audio. Multichannel sound files with lots of headroom. Windows Media Player will perform a stereo mixdown but attenuates the volume level to not risk distortion or clipping when 6+ channels of audio will saved to 2 channels.

Your DVD ripped to AVI probably didn't have multichannel surround audio. Either it used a stereo track on the DVD, or the AVI conversion process made a stereo mixdown, then normalized the audio levels to increase the volume.

Romansh

Re: very low audio output on ripped dvd to MKV

Post by Romansh » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:45 pm

leenuss wrote:Multichannel sound files with lots of headroom. Windows Media Player will perform a stereo mixdown but attenuates the volume level to not risk distortion or clipping when 6+ channels of audio will saved to 2 channels.
My experience is that multichannel audio on DVD and Blu-ray does not have that much headroom. But you are correct in that many devices will normalize Stereo downmix coefficients to avoid clipping, with the result being a low output volume.
leenuss wrote:Either it used a stereo track on the DVD, or the AVI conversion process made a stereo mixdown, then normalized the audio levels to increase the volume.
It would indeed seem likely.