Audio Track understanding

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
icarus

Audio Track understanding

Post by icarus »

Hi all,

I'm sorry for the dumb question. I'm having a hard time understanding the multiple audio tracks. They seem the same to me. Can anyone help me understand these?

For example
DTS-HD MA Surround 5.1 English
DTS Surround 5.1 English
DTS-HD MA Stereo English
DTS Stereo English

The 2 5.1 tracks seem identical unless I'm missing something. Same for the Stereo tracks. I guess I'm confused about these 2 seemingly identical tracks but one is indented under the other in the selections.

Thanks
Ezatoka

Re: Audio Track understanding

Post by Ezatoka »

DTS-HD MA Surround 5.1 English is the "full" audio, DTS Surround 5.1 English is the core audio of that track
DTS-HD MA Stereo English is the "full" audio, DTS Stereo English is the core audio of that track

DTS-HD MA audio tracks are veery huge and seemingly want to offer the best quality possible for audio, the core audio track is a "lossy" version of the same track. See viewtopic.php?t=25177
I personally always only take the lossy one because it's "enough" for me (otherwise a single DTS-HD MA audio track can be up to 2GB of size depending on the length of the movie)

the Stereo track could be something like Directors comments, at least I usually see them being Stereo. If you can open the BluRay menu on a player, you should be able to see the description for the audio tracks in the Audio menu within the BluRay menu.
icarus

Post by icarus »

Thank you for the answer. So I take it if I want the best audio, I can just take the DTS-HD MA Surround 5.1 and unselect the indented DTS Surround 5.1 that is below it?

I guess what I am asking is that they are not reliant upon each other to be able to "work"

Thanks
icarus

Post by icarus »

Nevermind, I just reviewed the post you put in the reply and that answered it for me.

Appreciate the help!