Output File Size

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
Hairlesswookiee

Output File Size

Post by Hairlesswookiee »

Hello, I hope this is the right place so please move it if it isn't. After reading a how-to I'm going to try backing up some movies this weekend. Is it possible to set a size limit for the .MKV file? The how-to I read suggests using Handbrake for size compression, but I was planning on keeping the .MKV file and putting it on my Netgear Stora. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.
Smithcraft

Re: Output File Size

Post by Smithcraft »

Handbrake and MakeMKV do two different things.

Handbrake transcodes the content, typically making the files smaller.

MakeMKV copies the content, and does not alter it (other than making the changes you select).

SC
azimut2000

Post by azimut2000 »

Smithcraft wrote:Handbrake and MakeMKV do two different things.

Handbrake transcodes the content, typically making the files smaller.

MakeMKV copies the content, and does not alter it (other than making the changes you select).

SC
Will it be possible that one day MakeMKV will transcode the content (like compress in H264 or other format that we will choice) ???

It will be great !!!!
MakeMKV on Win7 X64
MakeMKV on Mandriva x64
Use It !!!!!
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

I hope not.

SC
reebok

Post by reebok »

I second that. It took me a long time to find a bluray ripper that DIDN'T re-encode. the entire reason I want to rip bluray is for the high quality on my projector, not so I can spend hours transcoding and downgrading the quality.
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

reebok wrote:It took me a long time to find a bluray ripper that DIDN'T re-encode.
+1

Introducing this sort of functionality will introduce needless complexity into MakeMKV.
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
SWRogue

Post by SWRogue »

Id like to see the Option of re-encoding the MKVs made with MakeMKV Im happy with smaller files of the Movies I have I think others would like that as an option as well.
If it is left as an Option there should be no problem with doing a Straight RIP or an re-encoded RIP.
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

SWRogue wrote:Id like to see the Option of re-encoding the MKVs made with MakeMKV Im happy with smaller files of the Movies I have I think others would like that as an option as well.
If it is left as an Option there should be no problem with doing a Straight RIP or an re-encoded RIP.
You should use handbrake or one of the 10's of other tools out there for re-encoding then.
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
AQ_OC

Post by AQ_OC »

I like having a ripper that maintains 1:1 filesize. I can easily use handbrake if a decide I need more compression and longer wait times. MakeMKV is perfect along the path it is going.