Help With Avatar subtitles on Mac OSX

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
elgoocho

Help With Avatar subtitles on Mac OSX

Post by elgoocho »

Hey guys, big fan of MakeMKV and this forum. It's been very helpful for a lot of Blu-Ray rips.

I'm trying to rip my copy of Avatar for playback on my Iphone, Ipad, Mac, or Apple TV gen 2. I've ripped my disk to MKV with the movie, audio, and the "forced" English subtitles checked. I've tested the N'avi subtitles by playing it back through VLC and the subtitles show up fine. When I go to encode using Handbrake, I have the "Forced Only" and "Burn-in" boxes checked but the resulting M4V file doesn't display any of the subtitles. Am I doing something wrong here? Thanks in advance for the help!

FYI, I'm running:
Mac OS X Snow Leopard
MakeMKV v 1.6.8
Handbrake 0.9.5
Romansh

Re: Help With Avatar subtitles on Mac OSX

Post by Romansh »

HandBrake doesn't support Blu-ray subtitles.
elgoocho

Post by elgoocho »

So how do people rip Avatar with subtitles for playback on IOS devices?
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

Two solutions:

1)

Find an SRT subtitle track with the subtitles you want; you can add it via HandBrake's subtitle panel or to an existing MP4 file with Subler. You will have soft text subtitles that you can enable/disable on your iOS devices.

2)

Extract the Blu-ray subtitles from the MakeMKV rip (with mkvextract), convert them to DVD subtitles (with BDSup2Sub), then combine the video and audio from the MakeMKV rip with the converted subtitles and create a new MKV file (with mkvmerge).

HandBrake will see the DVD subtitles and will be able to render them on the encoded video ("burn in"). You won't be able to toggle them on or off.
elgoocho

Post by elgoocho »

See update below.
Last edited by elgoocho on Sun May 15, 2011 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
elgoocho

Post by elgoocho »

Hey guys, I've been trying to rip my blu-ray copy of Avatar and have hardcoded subs in the file for playback on my iOS devices. I've been using the following guide (https://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=16784) to keep the format and style of the subs, but instead of the Windows apps, using Mac apps. I'm basically using MakeMKV (to rip) > MKVTools (extract subtitles) > BDsup2sub (convert subtitles) > MKVtoolnix (remuxing) > handbrake (encoding). The problem I run into is the BDsup2sub part. I load the file from Avatar and get an error (see screenshot below). Does anyone know another method to convert the SUP to a SUB file or can someone convert for me? Thanks in advance!
Attachments
Screen shot 2011-05-14 at 4.46.30 PM.png
Screen shot 2011-05-14 at 4.46.30 PM.png (19.27 KiB) Viewed 24755 times
contheorypro

Post by contheorypro »

Not sure if this tidbit would help, but I've been trying to do the same thing and used the same method. I didn't come across the problem you did and was wondering maybe if the error came from a different sup track than the one I used. I noticed there were 9 different subtitle tracks, 2 were English. The default first one was subtitles for the hearing impaired and the 7th one was English for when they are speaking Navi. I realize this post is a couple months old now, but if you are still having trouble then perhaps I could e-mail you the sub file that I exported, then you could finish with MKVtoolnix and Handbrake.
palmorry

Post by palmorry »

How do I avoid losing my Avatar when I return to the Profile Page? I keep designing Avatars,but when I try to return to my profile I sometimes lose them.How do I return from "designing Avatar" page to "My Profile" without losing the design? Thanks in advance!

Post by Spectre »

Posting a quick guide for the benefit of others since I ran into this problem and finally figured out a solution.

Using MakeMKV 1.7.2 on Windows 32 bit, the following worked for me with the Avatar Collector's Edition Blu-Ray set:

1. Start MakeMKV and read the BD

2. Select which of the 3 versions of the movie you want to rip, and un-select all others

3. De-select the first English sub-title set

4. Select the second English sub-title set, but de-select the 'Forced Sub-Titles' checkbox.

What I found is that at least with these blu-ray discs, if you select 'Forced' sub-titles, you get none. I believe it has something to do with how sub-titles are tagged on BD's. It appears on my Avatar BD that the first set of sub-titles is the normal show-them-all-the-time selection, and the 2nd are only displayed when the N'avi are speaking their native language, and it must be on all the time (i.e. not 'forced') for it to work.
firionicable

Post by firionicable »

I am currently using RemuxMKV if I want to play any MKV files to my iPad or iPhone. I am just thinking if Make MKV works like the same?Image
Spectre

Post by Spectre »

I'm not familiar with RemuxMKV, but regardless you should search the forum and/or start a separate topic. This topic is discussing the Avatar DVD/BD sub-titles.