Any thoughts or suggestions? VC-1

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
Noctum

Any thoughts or suggestions? VC-1

Post by Noctum »

I know this issue has come up already, but;

I was using makemkv with a bluray of BBC Life. All 10 titles are VC-1. There were no issues except for number 9 of 10 (Plants). When I attempted to play this title with VLC, there was only audio; no video. This was not the case with the other titles. I attempted to create an mkv again, to find the same problem.

I attempted to use iVI to convert to m4v and ended up with an m4v file also with only audio. I attempted to use handbrake, which states "invalid source" which is not the case with the other titles.

The only difference I've noticed with this title is frame rate. For some reason title 9 has a frame rate of 29.97 as opposed to the others which are 23.97.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Bling2Ming

Re: Any thoughts or suggestions? VC-1

Post by Bling2Ming »

If its a BBC disk it's probably interlaced VC1 and you will struggle to find any open source tool to show it or re-encode it.

Following advice from NomadCF in this thread. http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1096

I have had some success with Xvid4PSP on windows. I re-encode it to x264.

I also read somewhere on the HandBrake forum of someone using Flip4Mac via Quicktime on a mac to successfully re-encode, but I have no experience of that method.