MKV will play with VLC, not on TV, others do.

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
Black Tiger

MKV will play with VLC, not on TV, others do.

Post by Black Tiger »

I'm really a noob on codecs and properties and stuff, but I'm just wondering if there is a way to convert this.

This is my problem.
I've got several movies on my Asustor NAS system, which can be accessed from my Samsung smart TV which can play MKV files amongst other formats.

However, I've got 2 backups of Harry Potter movies 1080p Blu-ray rips, also with DTS sound, which won't play when I try to access them from my TV.
When accessing over the network via VLC, there is not a single notice or issue.

When trying to access them from my TV, it seems as if they start, but then I get this notice:

"Unknown file format
Videocodec: none".

I've got other MKV files with DTS sound, which play fine. Also other 1080p BR backups have no issue playing. So maybe it's in the files properties or something like that, I don't know I don't have that knowledge.

Is there anything I can do, maybe recode with MakeMKV or something else so I still have these files with DTS but they can be played on the TV?
Woodstock

Re: MKV will play with VLC, not on TV, others do.

Post by Woodstock »

Backups, or MKV files? They are different formats.

Smart TVs rarely are very smart. There are a number of different video codecs out there, too, that fit the "Blu-ray specification", that aren't supported by playback devices.

H.264 is well supported; VC-1 and some of its variants are NOT. H.265 requires a relatively new TV.

If you play it with VLC, open the Information window (usually Ctrl-I) and see what the video codec in use is.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Black Tiger

Post by Black Tiger »

Thank you for the quick answer.
Backups, or MKV files? They are different formats.
Maybe I caused confustion. I ment when I make a backup of my original Blu-Ray or DVD with MKV it's a backup but also an mkv file, correct?
But just to be sure, in this case it's MKV files. I was mistaken anyway, these 2 I downloaded, the others (without issues) were backups from original DVD's.

I've opened in VLC and looked at the codec tap.
Codec: MPEG-H Part2/HEVC (H.265) (hevc)

Ah... I think I see what you mean. Others which do play are indeed H.264, not H.265. Even my daughters TV which is just 5 years old refuses to play them.

Can I create H.264 from those 2 files some way?
Black Tiger

Post by Black Tiger »

Thank you for the quick answer.

Something went wrong, I don't see my answer anymore, post dissappeared.

Anyway, I had a look with your instructions and they are indeed H.265 files.
The others which do work are H.264.

Is there a way I can create H.264 from those 2 files?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Several options - I use handbrake (https:\\handbrake.fr), which is free and has a reasonable user interface. It can read and write both H.264 and H.265 files, writing them as either MKV or MP4. Using their "HQ" presets will minimize any compression artifacts, but it DOES take a lot of CPU power to convert files.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

You're probably better off getting a cheap Android media player or a Raspi 4 than wasting time and energy on conversion (if space is not the issue).
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
Black Tiger

Post by Black Tiger »

Thank you woodstock. I found several methods but wanted to know what might be best.
I do have handbrake and also found a manual on how to convert to H.264 so I will use this then. I've got time and got an Intel i7-7700K and 6GB gfx card so if I only do the conversion it should have enough cpu power I think. I will use Handbrake.
Thank you very much for all your help and advise.

@Chetwood: I have an Android media player for IPTV, but I got all movies on the NAS and it's only 2 files. So that's not a big time/energy issue for me. But we're only talking about 2 files. It would have been different maybe if it was a bunch of files maybe.
Nikolas Hirees

Post by Nikolas Hirees »

There is an issue with supported codec of MKV video files. you need to convert the files as supported file format with the help of Stellar Converter for Audio Video. This tools helps you to convert files with any supported files format.
Black Tiger

Post by Black Tiger »

I already converted both files with Handbrake to H.264 to a new .mkv file and no issues with the codec.
Playing fine now.