MUX into MKV, transcoding causes audio sync issue

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
dahli

MUX into MKV, transcoding causes audio sync issue

Post by dahli »

I've been trying to figure this one out but have had no luck. Maybe somebody here can shed some light on this topic.

I've been creating a digital media library of DVD and BD and my choice is to keep original streams where possible. Due to a variety of playback devices the format I'm going to is H.264/AC3 or AAC-LC 6ch. To hit this format it sometimes requires muxing into MKV and then I'll transcode later.

typical sources
DVD: MPEG2 video with DTS or AC3
BD: MPEG2 or VC1 or H.264 with DTS or AC3 or trueHD.

The movie I've been playing with recently is Adaptation DVD, this is the sequence right now.

Source: DVD media (copied to HDD with AnyDVDHD)
MakeMKV: create MKV file with one MPEG2 stream and DTS audio track (no subtitles) audio sync is fine here
Ripbot or handbrake: Transcode to H.264 with AC3 or H.264 with AAC-LC 6ch. audio is way off here

I've tried on systems with CCCP and with FFMPEG plus haali splitter. (Two separate systems)

thanks for any ideas
setarip_old

Re: MUX into MKV, transcoding causes audio sync issue

Post by setarip_old »

Hi!
Ripbot or handbrake: Transcode to H.264 with AC3 or H.264 with AAC-LC 6ch. audio is way off here

Try using multiAVCHD instead...

dahli

Post by dahli »

I've also tried with windows movie maker (and newer live version). I'll give the other program a try but I don't think that it is an answer. It seems like this is a codec issue or issue with the file produced by MakeMKV.

Has anybody else tried the MKV validation tool? I tried it on the MakeMKV output and it has many errors. DVDFab outputs MKV files that can be transcoded into other formats but that is a very expensive tool.
marshalleq

Post by marshalleq »

I've been trying too with the same problem. I'm using h264enc to re-encode to a smaller format. It works fine with all the files I've tried, but not a blu-ray using makemkv. It does work from a makemkv dvd extract, just not a blu ray one.

The following post seems to indicate for linux at least ffms2 is required to fix audio sync issues....

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1313
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

dahli wrote:Ripbot or handbrake: Transcode to H.264 with AC3 or H.264 with AAC-LC 6ch. audio is way off here
The HandBrake Activity Log will contain a lot of information about what's going on, some of which may be useful in figuring out what's causing the desync.