Best Quality Bluray and 4K Backup with Compressed High Quality Video?

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
StormMeows

Best Quality Bluray and 4K Backup with Compressed High Quality Video?

Post by StormMeows »

Hi guys,

I'm going to be backing up a lot of 4K UHDs and Blurays soonand I'm looking for the highest possible quality without taking up full size MKV file sizes. From what I have been reading, an average bluray will be around 26 to 27GB with TV series being around 10GB per episodes and 4K UHDs are around 50 to 55GB all in the MKV format.

I have a lot of space on my NAS server but 27GB to 55GB is going to fill up quickly. I am a video/audio enthusiast so I would prefer the end file to be as close to the discs as possible. So if I could make the 27GB average bluray file even 20GB compressed, while maintaining the best quality using something like H265 that would be preferred. Keep in mind I will always want to keep the full uncompressed Audio HD file and I'm only talking about compressing the 1080p or 4K video files.

I know there are other programs that I could stack on top of MakeMKV (encode the MKV file to compress it further). Is the best program still Handbrake or is there a better alternative now? I do not want to take a file that's let's say 26GB from MAKEMKV and during it into 5GB, that's just too much compression for me. I am really looking for the highest possible size file when compressing so it barely compresses the files, which of course is less than the full MKV file. I would also like to point out I'm only trying to extract the movie portion only via MakeMKV.

I know this might have all sounded confusing but in summary, I want to use MakeMKV to extract the main movie from bluray and 4K discs. Then I want to compress down the video portion file to a more reasonable size but as little of compression using something like H265 and I'm fine with a big file still (around 20GB for bluray and 35GB for 4K).

Any help would be appreciated. I want the file to look close to the orginal disc and have a high bitrate of course.

Thanks for the help!
Woodstock

Re: Best Quality Bluray and 4K Backup with Compressed High Quality Video?

Post by Woodstock »

Locked in favor of existing topic on the same subject:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=22025
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging