Forced subtitles

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
zyonuf79

Forced subtitles

Post by zyonuf79 »

I need assistance with forced subtitles...specifically during the German speaking parts of X Men first class. I have read several threads and posts but still don't have a clear understanding on how to get them to play. I would appreciate any links to a clear explanation or just work it out via this thread. I am playing the file using Media Center on Windows 7 32 bit. I am using the CoreAVC codec with DXVA and the Haali Splitter that comes with it.

It seems the most promising method involves using Handbrake to create an mkv file with the subtitles burned in, but I am not clear on those steps.
Chetwood

Re: Forced subtitles

Post by Chetwood »

Windows Media Center sucks. Having said that, if you don't want to shrink the movie you don't need Handbrake at all. Select all German streams and check the forced box under each. MakeMKV will now extract the complete German into one track and forced subs only into a separate track. Play back the mkv to check which of the streams has is the one with the forced subs and remux the file with MKVToolnix flagging this one as forced.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
zyonuf79

Post by zyonuf79 »

So the main track is showing two main english subtitles and the option for forced under those options. How do I know which is the correct subtitle track?
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

Only by playing back the file or extracting the subs and checking them with BDSUP2SUB.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
butters

Post by butters »

Isn't there any software solution out there that can display ONLY the forced subtitles from SUP and/or VOBSUB streams, without the need of multiple subtitle tracks??
Since forced subtitles are flagged somehow it shouldn't be too hard??