Embedded subtitles are not displayed

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
mfontolan

Embedded subtitles are not displayed

Post by mfontolan »

I convert a DVD title into a MKV file with two subtitles using MakeMKV.
The subtitles are not displayed needer in Media Player Classic or PowerDVD.
When I play in Media Player Classic the subtitles are present because I can select in Navigate Menu ou at Haali Media Splitter but, no metter what subtitles I select, none are displayed.
Other movies that I download with subtitles, the subtitle are displayed without problems.
Any help?

Regards
harrisonjagoward

Re: Embedded subtitles are not displayed

Post by harrisonjagoward »

I am having exactly the same issue, really hope someone replies to this.
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

Does it work if you remux the MKV with mkvmerge GUI? Do the subtitles show in VLC?
jasonwc

Post by jasonwc »

This is not an issue with MakeMKV. PowerDVD simply doesn't support embedded PGS subtitles in MKVs. So, the issue is really with PowerDVD. The reason that downloaded files work is because they use text subtitles in SRT or ASS (styled text) format. These appear to work in PowerDVD. I tested a remux I made using eac3to to demux + encode DTS-HD MA to FLAC and mkvmerge to create the MKV. The movie has two internal subs - one SRT and one PGS. The SRT sub is displayed as an option by PowerDVD (and works) but the PGS isn't displayed at all.

You should be able to play the subs in MPC-HC because it does support embedded subtitles in PGS format (the Blu-Ray sub format which is image based). XBMC, Mediaportal, VLC, WMP w/ Haali Media Splitter, or virtually any hardware player (Dune, Popcorn Hour, WDTV etc.) will support embedded subtitles in multiple formats including PGS.

In MPC-HC, you need to select the correct subtitle stream AND enable subtitles. Selecting the right sub isn't sufficient, and is often done for you if it's set as a default track (which Mkvmerge does, makemkv doesn't by default).
samtoy

Post by samtoy »

Yes, MPC-HC is perfect for MKVs with PGS subtitles. No problems at all.

With hardware players it is a little different: I still have to find one which supports PGS subs in MKV files 100% problem-free. I really don't understand the situation, as PGS subtitles are the Blu-ray *standard* and should be supported on a much wider scale!

Here's my thread for that issue:

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4948

Cheers, S.