MKV back to DVD or Blu Ray

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
robneal81

MKV back to DVD or Blu Ray

Post by robneal81 »

I'm sorry, I know this question has been asked before, but after hours of searching this forum, I honestly couldn't find a good answer.

I purchased MakeMKV and have ripped my DVD and Blu Ray collection to my server. No re encoding, I just used MakeMKV to rip the movie to my HDD.

There's been a few incidents recently, where I wanted to burn the movie to either a blu ray or DVD, but I couldn't do it. The software I tried all said it would take hours to convert them to .iso for burning, so I didn't bother. I then tried a program called multiavchd that I saw someone on this forum talk about and it took about 25 minutes to convert a blu ray.mkv to a standard blu ray...but it never worked. I tried multiavchd with both DVD's and blu ray's and nothing would play.

I thought since MakeMKV wasn't re encoding anything, it would be easy to burn them back to disc if I needed. Even if I could get multiavchd to work, 25 minutes seems like a long time to re-author something that doesn't need re encoding.

I have all my original discs, so I can just use other software to make movie-only copies if I needed, but I was really hoping to use the files that I already spent HOURS ripping. I'm starting to think I may have made the wrong decision ripping them to .mkv and should have ripped them to .iso instead.

Can anyone please help? I'd really appreciate it.
paulster

Re: MKV back to DVD or Blu Ray

Post by paulster »

I'd be interested in a good solution for this too.

The vast majority of my physical discs are in storage now and, although I can retrieve my ISO copies from my archive drives and make a copy from them, it would be neat to be able to quickly author a DVD/BD from the MKV to take over to a pal's place or something.
robneal81

Post by robneal81 »

I've tried every freeware option from this page:

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/authoring-dvd

None of them worked at all. I also tried Nero 11, which said it would take 40 min and the final result would be an .iso (with no menu's) that's 2GB bigger than the original .mkv. I didn't bother letting it finish, since it's obviously re-encoding something.

Am I missing something?
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@robneal81, @paulster

If you've made an .MKV from a ("movie only") Blu-ray disc, you can use tsMuxer to re-convert it (back to a playable Blu-ray "package" of files) in anywhere from 2 to 10 minutes (depending on your system and the filesize). Simply "drag & drop" the .MKV file into the main window of tsMuxer and select "Blu-ray" from the choices at the
BOTTOM of the window...
robneal81

Post by robneal81 »

Thanks so much for replying! tsMuxer worked absolutely PERFECT and took less than ten minutes! It left out the TrueHD audio stream though. That doesn't really matter, but is that supposed to happen?

Also, does a tool as fast and easy as tsMuxer exist for mkv to DVD?

Once again, thanks for taking the time to answer. It was a big help!
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

Also, does a tool as fast and easy as tsMuxer exist for mkv to DVD?

I'm not aware of any...
robneal81

Post by robneal81 »

Does anyone have a suggestion for mkv to DVD?
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

VSO's ConvertXtoDVD works fine with MKV files made by MakeMKV.
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
robneal81

Post by robneal81 »

crowfax wrote:VSO's ConvertXtoDVD works fine with MKV files made by MakeMKV.
I tried ConvertXtoDVD and it did work, but it took about 45 minutes. Maybe I'm wrong, but if it only takes 10 min for tsmuxer to convert a 25GB blu ray mkv, shouldn't it take less time to convert a 4GB DVD mkv?
paulster

Post by paulster »

robneal81 wrote:I tried ConvertXtoDVD and it did work, but it took about 45 minutes. Maybe I'm wrong, but if it only takes 10 min for tsmuxer to convert a 25GB blu ray mkv, shouldn't it take less time to convert a 4GB DVD mkv?
I haven't tried it yet but I'd guess it applies compression in order to keep the resultant file small enough to fit on a single layer DVD. Bear in mind the majority of DVDs use both layers and most people only buy single layer DVD-Rs.

I'm still going to check this out though as any solution is better than no solution!
robneal81

Post by robneal81 »

paulster wrote:I haven't tried it yet but I'd guess it applies compression in order to keep the resultant file small enough to fit on a single layer DVD. Bear in mind the majority of DVDs use both layers and most people only buy single layer DVD-Rs.
Actually, I made sure to select "DVD9", so that no compression would be done. I also tried a 30 min long .mkv and it took about 15 minutes, so something else seems to be causing the delay.
paulster wrote:I'm still going to check this out though as any solution is better than no solution!
You're absolutely right about that. I'll use ConvertXtoDVD as my interim solution, but I really hope someone cuold post a tool as fast and easy as tsmuxer.
obuengineer

Post by obuengineer »

Format factory will take almost any video file and convert it to .vob, which is what is required for DVD players.
Twowit2woo

Post by Twowit2woo »

robneal81 wrote:Does anyone have a suggestion for mkv to DVD?
If you just want a dirty "stick this on a DVD so I can watch it around a mate's house", try www.freemake.com
GordoShum

Post by GordoShum »

@setarip_old
I've used TSmuxer to re-convert a MKV back to Blu-ray. And burned it to a BD disc. It was only after my BDplayer rejected this disc, I found out (BDedit crashed!) that TSmuxer left both the PLAYLIST folder and CLIPINF folder empty (in the BDMV folder structure)...
Till this day I haven't found a working solution to get back to a BD from a MKV.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@GordoShum (ALF)

Since I've successfully done this many times (and the first post by "robneal81" in this thread confirms), I can only speculate that you are selecting something OTHER THAN "Blu-ray" from the lower portion ("Output") of the tsMuxer screen...