Seperate m2ts files are combined into one large MKV file

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
first_name

Seperate m2ts files are combined into one large MKV file

Post by first_name »

Hello,

I never had this issue before, but when loading the "index.bdmv" or "MovieObject.bdmv" from Death Note with MakeMKV, instead of listing each of the 8 episodes separately, I see one big MKV file with 40 chapters (8 x 5).

The episodes are separately visible as m2ts files, and even MakeMKV is recognizing the segments correctly. In the end, the large exported MKV file contains all 8 episodes.

Is this a curiosity with this BD, or why is this happening?

Woodstock

Re: Seperate m2ts files are combined into one large MKV file

Post by Woodstock »

Happens a lot. Funimation creates BDs (and a number of DVDs) that contain individual episodes AND a combined-as-one series. I have to remember to de-select the combined episode when ripping their disks.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
first_name

Post by first_name »

Well, de-selecting the combined-as-one is one thing. But I can't even select just the 8 single episodes.
The only way I see to get the 8 episodes would be to create the "combined-as-one" MKV and afterwards split the MKV every 5th chapter with MKVToolNix.

Am I missing here something or is this the way to go for this BD?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

For that particular (series of) BD(s), yes, it's probably the best way to go. I forgot about Death Note (been 8+ YEARS since I ripped that!) being built without the individual titles plus the combined. When I ripped it, I used handbrake command line (via batch job) to break out the individual episodes, and the end/lead overlaps on many episodes (ep 1 has 2 seconds of the start of ep 2, for example) don't always happen at the right time.

At least it was consistent at 5 chapters per episode, through all 37 episodes.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
first_name

Post by first_name »

Alright. Thanks for confirming.
toa232

Post by toa232 »

Hello, I hope this isn't too out of place, but I've got a question that seems to fit right in here.

I've been using MakeMKV for ages to rip BDMV discs, and it's always bundled episodes together for me. I normally split them up with Mkvtoolnix, which is a real pain.
Today I have stumbed onto something, I have experimented and found out that If I delete the PLAYLIST folder, MakeMKV doesn't bunch them up but lists individual episodes!

Today I accidentally found something interesting. If I delete the PLAYLIST folder before ripping, MakeMKV lists the episodes individually instead of grouping them! It seems like the PLAYLIST folder is what tells MakeMKV to bundle them up.

My question is, if this is fine to do, delete the PLAYLIST folder on purpose and mux my individual episodes, or does that folder contain any additional important information that might, for example, ruin the stream or whatever. I realize the chapters are missing, for example, which is a shame, but whatever.

Thanks in advance! :D