Converting UHD BD dvhe.07 to dvhe.08 with dovi_tool

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
riweston

Re: Converting UHD BD dvhe.07 to dvhe.08 with dovi_tool

Post by riweston »

This thread was helpful to me and, just in case anyone else comes across this and wants a straightforward way convert a DV7 profile mkv to DV8 as I did, I've built the tooling and commands into a container here https://github.com/riweston/fileflows#dovi_tool

TLDR

$ docker pull ghcr.io/riweston/dovi_tool
$ docker run --rm -it -v /path/to/media/Dune/:/opt/media ghcr.io/riweston/dovi_tool:latest Dune.mkv dvhe.07
rodrigo081089

Post by rodrigo081089 »

Is it normal that the bitrate from the hevc is smaller than the original mkv?
koolkidkorey

Post by koolkidkorey »

Hello all, I am trying to follow this workflow but having all kinds of trouble. I have noticed that when I rip my uhd bd to mkv, such as sonic the hedgehog, the resulting mkv shows only hdr 10 in mediainfo, even though in makemkv it shows that it has dovi 7. I did notice there are two titles in makemkv with this disc, both the same size, one with chapters and one without. I've tried both and neither one seems to end up with dovi intact.
kkienle

Post by kkienle »

riweston wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:22 am
This thread was helpful to me and, just in case anyone else comes across this and wants a straightforward way convert a DV7 profile mkv to DV8 as I did, I've built the tooling and commands into a container here https://github.com/riweston/fileflows#dovi_tool

TLDR

$ docker pull ghcr.io/riweston/dovi_tool
$ docker run --rm -it -v /path/to/media/Dune/:/opt/media ghcr.io/riweston/dovi_tool:latest Dune.mkv dvhe.07
Do you have any written instructions so i could try it?
btoconnor

Post by btoconnor »

This docker image worked perfectly for me, thanks!

On my Dune rip that was previously triggering "HDR" on my LG C2, it's now triggering "Dolby Vision". I have a Fire TV Cube (Gen 3) hooked up to a Denon receiver, hooked up to the C2. Everything along the chain seems to work well.

I'm really new to this, but I just want to make sure I'm understanding things properly. I have several 4K UHD rips, some of them with Dolby Vision. My understanding is that most (all?) rips from disc will contain Dolby Vision Profile 7. The most popular device recommended to play these files is obviously the Shield. However my understanding is that the Shield basically just throws away the FEL data, which /effectively/ makes the file "Profile 8". With this process of converting a file from "Profile 7" to "Profile 8" - that makes any player capable of playing "Profile 8" on the same playing field (in terms of Dolby Vision, anyway) as the Shield?

If I've got some things wrong above, I'd love to be corrected.
heaser

Post by heaser »

I've tried converting using the steps, made the .mkv from an .iso rip using makemkv (there was two files with the same sizes but I choose the one with the chapters).
Then used the script with ffmpeg and dovi_tool to extract the hevc from this mkv file.
Then used tsmuxer to create an m2ts with this hevc and audio and subtitles directly from the other m2ts file on the iso.
But when I play the new m2ts file, infuse player on apple tv 4k tries to switch to dolby vision, but then falls back to HDR and when my hisense 65a85h tv plays it back, it's in dolby vision, but seemingly the switching of the scenes for dolby vision has been mixed up / delayed, it switches contrast/brightness/etc. in the middle of a scene instead of at the start of the scene as it's supposed to.
Any ideas what might be the cause of this? Thanks!
vmiyoshi

Post by vmiyoshi »

This doesn't work, it's just a waste...
It crashes in Tsmux with "Bitstream exception std::exception. It does not have to be! Please contact application support team for more information." if using an MKV source, when using a m2ts the audio and video is out of sync.
kaledi

Post by kaledi »

Excuse my ignorance, but how do I compile, or instal dovi_tool on a windows 11 machine (if it is possible) so I use command line to execute the conversion?
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

kaledi wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:25 pm
Excuse my ignorance, but how do I compile, or instal dovi_tool on a windows 11 machine (if it is possible) so I use command line to execute the conversion?
I've never installed dovi_tool, but it looks like it is built with Rust. So, you probably have to get Rust setup and working on your machine, then clone the dovi_tool repo and build it.