Reencoding problems with some new TrueHD tracks

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
holunder2

Reencoding problems with some new TrueHD tracks

Post by holunder2 »

Hello, since a couple weeks, I get TrueHD errors when I try to transcode new reencoded releases to FLAC audio via MakeMKV. The program just stops the process with the message: »Copy complete. 0 titles saved, 1 failed.« That’s all.

eac3to fails too but it could be a whole other problem. Its error message is:

Code: Select all

… 2: TrueHD, English, 7.1 channels, 24 bits, 48kHz
   "Surround 7.1"
Bitstream parsing for tracks 1 and 2 failed.  <WARNING>
Demuxing these tracks may still produce correct results - or not.  <WARNING>
This audio conversion is not supported.  <ERROR>
What is going on there? I can play the MKVs with TrueHD tracks without conversion in mpv and VLC just fine.

I have uploaded a sample clip from the beginning of a series episode, ripped from UHD-BD, reencoded from a release group but still with the original TrueHD track (I suppose?): https://mega.nz/file/GFhGhBiL#l2L9LkhZV ... txXGudxw_U
Cut via MKVToolNix GUI.
Maybe this is a ffmpeg error?
Last edited by holunder2 on Mon May 29, 2023 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
holunder2

Re: Reencoding problems with some new TrueHD tracks

Post by holunder2 »

I’m a Linux user and now I tried MakeMKV under Windows to verify this TrueHD transcoding bug. On Windows, it’s not happening. MakeMKV transcodes the TrueHD track just fine under Windows. So, this seems really like a ffmpeg issue on Linux?
Last edited by holunder2 on Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
holunder2

Post by holunder2 »

Hi, I have experimented further: It doesn’t work on Arch Linux anymore, doesn’t work on Ubuntu 23.04, but does work on Ubuntu 22.04. There is something not compatible with newer packages in the MakeMKV build. It does actually happen with all TrueHD tracks I come across.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

I don't use MakeMKV on Linux, but there have been reports in the past of trouble in this space on Linux.

viewtopic.php?p=128049#p128049

I'm pretty sure on Windows, MakeMKV ships with the specific bits of ffmpeg it needs to transcode to FLAC. On Linux, it uses whatever you have installed.
holunder2

Post by holunder2 »

It’s now with MakeMKV 1.17.5 also broken with DTS-HD MA to FLAC on Arch Linux, always stops at "analyzing seamless segments". Ripping works without any audio transcoding selected though.

@dcoke22: Thanks, that explains it. MakeMKV must be linked to an old ffmpeg library.

@mike admin: Please update the ffmpeg pieces. The program is downright broken on modern distros right now.