some mkv are lagging on chromecast and samsung Tizen

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
zumosol

some mkv are lagging on chromecast and samsung Tizen

Post by zumosol »

Hello

Proberly it is not the Makemkv software that is the problem, I actually don't know, but I have posted the problem on Plex forum, send them logfiles, and got no answers, I have posted it in Google helpsites, and get no help. So now I'm trying here, and also will try at the Jellyfin forum.

Long story short: One year ago I sold my house and bought a new house, and due to lot of work, the plex server ( a PC) was not set up until recently.
In the old house I streamed to two Chromecast with google tv, and two older chromecasts+ mobilephone (android) , often to several devices at the same time.
All connected to wired cat. 6 lan, and everything worked 100% using Plex.

Now in the new house, I have tried several set ups:
Plex on wifi : it works in 720P and below and on some HD MKV (made by Makemkv from bluray). on cat.6 lan it's the same, lagging in HD and up, BUT remark I wrote "some"
Foreexample all Alien movies, Skyfall, and Terminator movies don't work, but No time to Die works, Spiderman, it's 50/50 and so on. totally some works some dont..
Therefor I re-ripped Skyfall, but that did not help. Then I reripped Alien, that also didn't help. Then I used Handbrake to create them in MP4, that also didn't help.
Then I installed Jellyfin, and to my surprize Skyfall worked, but Alien didn't.. Spiderman movies are still 50/50, but it is better, than Plex generally. and so on.. some works some dont...
Then I tried the samsung TV again, still with Plex, hence Jellyfin has no app for samsung Tizen....
The problem in the Samsung TV is: subtitles are missing in some cases.. sound is weird, sometimes it sounds like it is the rear sourround I hear in frontspeakers.. (or centersound is missing) and every aprox. 12 seconds the sound is disturbed in a millisecond.
I have tried also to reinstall Chromecast With Google TV= didn't help.
I have tried to use a Chromecast HD, didn't work better
I have tried to update TV,= it is updated.!!..
I have tried to change settings in Chromecast with Google TV from 60 hz to 50, to 24hz and several other things= nothings helps.
..I have have updated my PC ( there is NO lagging on the pc at all by the way !!)
I have tried to update the land card driver also...
The PC is an ASUS mainboard, AMD 7-2700X processor, 48Gb ram, geforce rtx2060.
Is it the windows updates that came after one year?
IS it the updates on Chromecast with Google TV ( stupid long name...) ?

On the android phone, even on mobile network only, everything works super fine !!... no problems what so ever (as usual I could say)

What do I overlook?
The question is: what should I try now? despite throwing TV and PC, Chromecasts and cables out the window, and go back to VHS :D

I made a youtube recording with my mobile to show how it looks on the Samsung TV using Chromecast with blah blah, and Jellyfin and Plex
https://youtu.be/fEaSqgxPHwg
dcoke22

Re: some mkv are lagging on chromecast and samsung Tizen

Post by dcoke22 »

If you play a problematic file from your Plex on your computer with VLC or something, does it play fine? Assuming it does, it is probably safe to say the files are not the problem.

It could be something with your local network. Not enough bandwidth between your server and your client maybe. If your Plex server is connected via gigabit ethernet, that will improve your bandwidth compared to wifi, but if your client(s) (the Chromecasts & TVs) are on wifi, they might be limited there. You could try temporarily connecting them via ethernet as well to see if that improves things.

The Plex server could be trying to transcode the movies on the fly and might not be able to keep up. Plex Transcoder. If your clients can do Direct Play, your server won't have to transcode.
zumosol

Post by zumosol »

hello

No problems playing on pc at all!!
I agree nothing is wrong with the files!

It's very strange, the chromecast with Google is also on wired gigabit lan.

Today I tried to use the old chromcast Ultra (HD) again, and it works on wifi..with Jellyfin. Only the same sound problem I had on the Samsung TV every 12 seconds is also there
Therefore I reset the Chromecast with Google TV to factory, but it didn't help.
I must say I begin to think it's a Chromecast with Google tv problem.

But why only some movies? and why is it better in Jellyfin than Plex? it's really strange..

I can't see the pc is trancoding ... as far as I can see they play in full resolution.Unless it transcode because of the subtitles, but if I turn off subs, it's still the same... :shock:
Last edited by zumosol on Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Does streaming from Plex (or Jellyfin) work to a mobile phone, tablet, or computer? (I think you said streaming to your phone works fine.) If streaming works that way, it would imply the streaming server is fine, the network between the server & phone, tablet, or computer is fine. It also implies the problem is perhaps with the Chromecast(s), TV, or the network between those things and the streaming server. Do you have a fast internet connection? If you do, can you run a speed test from your Chromecast? And if so, does it get an expected result on the speed test?

Are Jellyfin & Plex installed on the same server? Are they both pointed at the same library of movies? Where does the library of movies live? Do you have a big hard drive inside your Plex server? Do they live on a NAS somewhere? Do they live somewhere else?

If you open the Plex web app and look at the dashboard, you can see how much CPU, RAM, and network bandwidth is being used. That could tell you if the server is struggling while you're playing a problematic file.
zumosol

Post by zumosol »

hi
yes it works to mobile using mobile network and wifi.

internet say 75-100 in download and around 70mbps in upload. Not the fastest in the world, but I dont stream outside my house..

yes both Jellyfin an Plex are installed on same pc. Have tried them at the same time, and one one installed at the time.
it is not the same movies that causes problems, forexample Skyfall works in Jellyfin, but not in Plex

Its not a nas, its at pc inside the house, the movies are on two 8tb drives+ series on a 4tb drive. Plex and Jellyfin are installed in ssd drive.

Plex is deleted at the moment, but I will install it again ...

I'll test some more this week, had a flu last week.. but I also begin to think the problem is inside the Chromecast or the last update from Google, or problems in Windows. the problems started after a large windows update - the pc had not been turned on for 10 months or so. The Chromecast was only offline for two weeks, but I think, not sure, it updated in January, or december?

thanx for answering. :D
Last edited by zumosol on Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
zumosol

Post by zumosol »

update:
I have not succeeded in installing Jellyfin on my Samsung TV
2/
I have realized I have picture and sound problems when using Chromecast with Google tv, and that includes youtube, and all stream tv. everything, except Jellyfin ( not installed and therefore not tested) and Plex ( sound is weird and subtitles are missing) works perfectly on Samsung/ Tizen.

So, conclusion is: Chromecast is broken, or last update is bad...
zumosol

Post by zumosol »

Chock .. it is not Chromecast...
I tried one of my friends Chromecast with Google, and its the same.

it's up- hill... I must say.

if it is not the pc ( unless it's windows update..), not Chromecast, not wifi, not wired lan.
What is left?...
what has changed since it worked?

Samsung tv ?
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

zumosol wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:18 pm
Chock .. it is not Chromecast...
I tried one of my friends Chromecast with Google, and its the same.
If I understand what you mean correctly, you tried another Chromecast and got the same bad performance? If that's the case, I do not think that rules out the Chromecast as the culprit. I think the only thing that suggests is that it isn't your specific Chromecast hardware, but it leaves open the possibility that the current Chromecast software has a problem that affects your setup.

I think you would need to try an alternative thing, like a Roku, FireStick, AppleTV, Nvidia Shield, etc. If one of those things works where the Chromecast does not, then clearly the Chromecast is the culprit. If one of those things fails in the same way the Chromecast does, then the culprit must be the network or the server in some way.

The fact that things work correctly when you stream from your server to a mobile device in your house suggests the network and server are working correctly.
zumosol

Post by zumosol »

hi
Yes ..I think you could be right.., it make sense!!

The only thing that talk against it, are the problems using Plex on the Samsung tv
The latest thing I realized just 10 min ago, is that the Jason Bourne movies can't play on Samsung tv in Plex due to too little CPU !
On Chromecast, Plex can't play Jason Bourne at all (Error: not possible to play media" no further information.

In Jellyfin in on Cheomecast all Jason movies play perfectly, except for the minor sound problem every 10- 15 seconds

I think I have more than one problem, ... maybe :?

I have to find another device somewhere to stream to as you mentioned.. thats the only way to find out if it is Chromecast or not...

Thanks very much for your answers... :D
Last edited by zumosol on Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Am I the only person for whom these graphic smiley-face icons are a full page, rather than small? It's a bit hard to read the content when I have to scroll the page to see there's something other than a big yellow face...
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Woodstock wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:56 pm
Am I the only person for whom these graphic smiley-face icons are a full page, rather than small? It's a bit hard to read the content when I have to scroll the page to see there's something other than a big yellow face...
It is the same for me; they're huge. I have no idea why.
zumosol

Post by zumosol »

I don't know why,,, I used my phone, (Android) so maybe googles smileys just end up like that, I will try to delete them..
no use those to the right instead, and it worked.. sorry for the mega smileys :wink:
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

It's not just you - It's most everyone who uses smilies like that. It's just you were there when I got to questioning...

Some smilies don't grow like this. The ones like those shown at the side for insertion ( :D :) :( :cry: :evil: :wink: ) don't, but those inserted as special characters DO. It's not the forum software that forces it, as far as I can tell, just how the browser (in my case, Chrome) interprets them. And it interprets them VERY BIG! :)
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
zumosol

Post by zumosol »

Hello... :wink:

update: I re-installed windows 10, did I mention that earlier?
And after that, Jellyfin worked despite the sound problem every 10- 15 seconds.
Plex didnt work at all.

Tjen I gave Samsung Tizen a try again, only Plex, because I could not find out how to install Jellyfin. ( It's seriously complicated, search youtube for a loooong how to...)

And... to my big surprise Plex worked, only subs didn't work.

Then I fumbled around like a blind, and tried several things, when I got the idea to change Plex language from English to Danish, and ..
guess what.. subs began to work!!
Maybe Plex just consider you to be dumb, if you install in English, and then want subs in another language when the movie is in English?
I dono..
but everything works

conclusion: Chromcast sucks...
They worked until last update, and Googe dont care. Only they have a faster and bigger Chromecast coming I read yesterday...
I will not begin to speculate in any conspiracy in making old de devices become bad, so you need a new..
no I won't think that.. they are not evil you know..
:roll:

Anyway. it works on Samsung tv directly..
And maybe one day I'll manage to install Jellyfin... or buy a Nvidia Shield Pro..

Thanx for all the inputs!! :D

... and I hope it also works next time I turn on the TV... :shock: