What is the purpose of MakeMKV adding the "_t00.mkv" at the end of the file created?

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
coldfire05

What is the purpose of MakeMKV adding the "_t00.mkv" at the end of the file created?

Post by coldfire05 »

What is the purpose of MakeMKV adding the "_t00.mkv" (or progressively t01, t02... with multiple files from the disc as in TV episodes) at the end of the file created?

TIA

PS I tried doing a search on this in the forums here but with no luck.
Woodstock

Re: What is the purpose of MakeMKV adding the "_t00.mkv" at the end of the file created?

Post by Woodstock »

It's a way of making sure you don't get duplicate files. The "mkv" is important because that's the file type, and the "_tXX" keeps track of where it was on the original.

When opening a disk with multiple titles, it's best if the next file doesn't overwrite the previous one. :)
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
coldfire05

Re: What is the purpose of MakeMKV adding the "_t00.mkv" at the end of the file created?

Post by coldfire05 »

Thank you for that reply! I am aware of the file extension part, I was more interested in knowing the _txx. aspect of it, and I guessed as much, but wasn't absolutely sure, sometimes there are more extenuating reasons that you may come upon on your own.

Cheers,
Nick
S.p.e.c.t.r.e.

Post by S.p.e.c.t.r.e. »

If you're extracting the main movie (or a single track) and nothing else, it's just an annoyance. If you're extracting more than the main movie at the same time, then after your extraction is done, you'll have multiple files _t01.mkv, _t05.mkv, etc. The file name on the output folder won't tell you what it is, but if you go back to make mkv and look at the items you checked, on the right side will be the track number, you can then rename the files to what each file is. I.e. T01=main movie.mkv, T02 movie trailer.mkv, etc

A good example of this is if you have a single-sided disk with 2 movies (tarzan / creature from black lagoon) [just made this up] and your extracting the main movie only. You'll end up in your output folder again with _T03, T08, but when you look at the first item checked, it will say tarzan-main movie, and on the right side track 3. So then you rename your movie_t03.mkv to tarzan.mkv and rename T08 to the creature from the black lagoon.

If you don't want to go back and forth on multiple tracks and rename them, then just rip one track at a time.