File Size and makeMKV Versions

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
leosantare

File Size and makeMKV Versions

Post by leosantare »

I recently had to re-rip all my 4k blu Ray's. I noticed my file size is slightly smaller with the current version of makemkv.

For example, I ripped one 4k a few months ago with a previous version of makemkv and the file size was 80gb. I just re-ripped the same 4k with the same exact title and single audio track and the file size is 71gb.

How is this possible, could not having Java for the re-rip be the reason?

Thank you,
leosantare

Re: File Size and makeMKV Versions

Post by leosantare »

Again, how is this actually possible? All of my re-rips are smaller in size than before.
Ezatoka

Post by Ezatoka »

As MakeMKV does not reencode anything, something must be different from before.

Have you checked the meta data of the video files? Check things like how big are the video parts and how big are the audio parts.

Did for some reason the previous rip has LCPM as audio and now the audio has been converted to FLAC or something? I know that there are presets for that in MakeMKV.
leosantare

Post by leosantare »

How do I check the Metadata for an mkv file? If I post the results, can you tell me if any compression was done?

I just used the default makemkv settings for both rips. Most of my rips this time around are in the 40gb range with one only being 37gb.

Thank you,
Ezatoka

Post by Ezatoka »

MakeMKV does not compress but take the original video format.

It can compress audio, if the preset e.g. FLAC is used. You can use MediaInfo to check for the streams within a MKV file. It can be found here: https://mediaarea.net/MediaInfo
leosantare

Post by leosantare »

Like I said, I just used the default settings. Please see screenshot below of Shutter Island UHD. I ended up with a 46.8GB file. If you have this title, is your file size 46.8GB also?
Attachments
Shutter Island.png
Shutter Island.png (192.25 KiB) Viewed 5445 times
leosantare

Post by leosantare »

Here is the actual file size.
Attachments
SI.png
SI.png (231.01 KiB) Viewed 5445 times
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

leosantare wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:37 am
Like I said, I just used the default settings. Please see screenshot below of Shutter Island UHD. I ended up with a 46.8GB file. If you have this title, is your file size 46.8GB also?
you unchecked all the non English audio this time last time maybe you did not
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
leosantare

Post by leosantare »

I never select any other audio languages. I always choose the the highest quality English audio track.

I must be mistaken.

Last question, why does makeMKV say the main title is 56.9gb when it's actually 46.8gb?

Is the main title 56.9gb only if you select every single audio track and subtitle with in the main title?
Ezatoka

Post by Ezatoka »

leosantare wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:13 pm
Last question, why does makeMKV say the main title is 56.9gb when it's actually 46.8gb?
because it does not take into account anything you uncheck. 56.9GB is indeed the size with all audio and subtitle tracks.
ArArdin

Post by ArArdin »

Ezatoka wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:01 pm
leosantare wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:13 pm
because it does not take into account anything you uncheck. 56.9GB is indeed the size with all audio and subtitle tracks.
Additionally, note that the MakeMKV screenshot shows 56.9 GB size for the title on the UHD disc. Which is in m2ts container, that indeed contains all tracks.
Even if you'd select to mux all tracks, the mkv would still come out smaller than the m2ts. Matroska container uses a more efficient construct. Or, as they say, m2ts has more "overhead".