Too many files

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
Harroun4

Too many files

Post by Harroun4 »

Sirs, can some one please help me understand. I am a new user and ripping most discs is going well. But a few discs are trying to generate over 200 files and something like 1000GB of data. Attached is a small example of what I am experiencing. I tried searching with no luck.

Large number of the files are for the same episode. Any suggestions to figure out which ones I want. Without eliminating most of them it would take a couple of days and much space to save.

Regards, Harroun
Attachments
MKV file sample.jpg
MKV file sample.jpg (618.19 KiB) Viewed 3491 times
jinx100

Re: Too many files

Post by jinx100 »

dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Those links from jinx100 are good ones to read. I'll just add a bit of high level context.

Blu-rays have this notion of 'seamless branching'. What that means is a blu-ray player can start playing a new video file when the current one ends without the viewer noticing the switch to a new file. This feature allows for both the theatrical release and director's cut of a movie to both be on the same disc, for example. In that case, the movie is divided up into multiple video files and there is a playlist that is the theatrical release and a separate playlist that is the director's cut. This allows for all the parts of the two versions that are the same to only be on the disc once.

Some studios, mostly Lionsgate, have abused this feature to make it hard to find the correct playlist that is the movie. They divide the movie up into dozens of chunks and then make hundreds of playlists with the chunks out of order, making it hard to find right one.

If you blindly rip all the titles on a disc, you might end up with hundreds of copies of a movie, with nearly all of them subtly wrong.
Harroun4

Post by Harroun4 »

The attached files better show the problem I am having. During testing of the results all the saved files are for the same episode. All 200. These discs do rip properly when using JRiver and anyDVD. The problem for me is using JRiver to watch movies is not convenient. Your ripped files will play directly on my Oppo player and all control is handled by the Oppo supplied remote.

A possibility for this problem could be I notice that these disc played with JRiver the discs menus are available and working.
Attachments
MKV Capture3.jpg
MKV Capture3.jpg (348.09 KiB) Viewed 3362 times
MKV Capture2.jpg
MKV Capture2.jpg (3.29 MiB) Viewed 3362 times
MKV Capture.jpg
MKV Capture.jpg (2.45 MiB) Viewed 3362 times