MakeMKV Full Folder Backup 4K disc

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
zilog23

MakeMKV Full Folder Backup 4K disc

Post by zilog23 »

I downloaded MakeMKV latest version and I am using Windows 10 64 Bit. I used the full folder backup on the menu for my 4K E.T. the Extra-Terrestria disc.

Once this was completed I used Imgburn and processed a ISO file from the folders that MakeMKV generated. I copy this to my NAS drive and my Dune loaded the play menu but when I pressed play it would not work. So I repeated the whole process again, same thing happen.

I then used AnydvdHD and copied my ISO file to my NAS drive and it worked on my Dune 4K no problem.

Can anyone explain what could be wrong?

Alex
Woodstock

Re: MakeMKV Full Folder Backup 4K disc

Post by Woodstock »

You shouldn't need to "make an ISO" for it to play, assuming you had MakeMKV remove the encryption when it created the backup. The Dune should work with opening the index.bdmv file in the directory structure.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
zilog23

Post by zilog23 »

Yes I know the Dune can do this, but I have always saved my DVD, Bluray and 4K as ISO.

I was just curious why this happens. I know MakeMKV main function is to produce a lossless. MKV file container which it does extremely efficiently.

I will keep using AnyDVD for producing my ISO files.

Thank you for replying to my post.
BlinkingGull

Post by BlinkingGull »

zilog23 wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:49 pm
I will keep using AnyDVD for producing my ISO files.
I know this reply might be kind of late and you may already have found a solution to your problem but when creating a decrypted backup makemkv creates an additional subfolder labelled 'MakeMKV'. When using ImgBurn this extra subfolder should be removed before you create the iso.

More info can be found here: viewtopic.php?t=22790