How to create a Blu-Ray disk (from an MKV that was extracted from a Blu-Ray disk)

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
the202

How to create a Blu-Ray disk (from an MKV that was extracted from a Blu-Ray disk)

Post by the202 »

I’m looking for help with burning (making) a Blu-ray disk. I recently purchased a Redbox Blu-Ray movie that I was able to mount and then extract an .mkv file using MakeMKV. I would like to turn the extracted file back into an ‘auto-playing’ Blu-ray ISO (disk). You’re probably wondering why would I want to do this?

Many of the Blu-Ray movies I purchase are used for two purposes, 1) To add a digital copy to my home library, and 2) To keep the physical disk in my mini-van so it can be played during family trips – my car has a factory installed DVD/Blu-Ray player. The problem is SOME Blu-Ray disks have an extensive menu system that include previews and region settings that either can’t be bypassed by my (arguably limited) in-car player OR don’t always work well and require a lot of tinkering with the player to get going. I’ve never had a disk that won’t play, it’s just that some require a lot of ‘loading’ and button pushing before they’ll get to the main feature.

I would like to figure out a way to burn my own Blu-Ray that when inserted to my car player, will JUST START PLAYING THE MOVIE THAT IS ON IT – No menus, no previews, no languages, JUST play the movie.

I have access to decent equipment and some editing and authoring software (Adobe CC and Encore). The thing is, I don’t want to make a disk that has menus and scene selections, but rather the most basic Blu-Ray that auto-plays whatever might be burned to it. Also, if there is a good software program for making this type of image, I would be happy to purchase it.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Woodstock

Re: How to create a Blu-Ray disk (from an MKV that was extracted from a Blu-Ray disk)

Post by Woodstock »

Since you already have the disk authoring tools, you just need to make sure they accept MKV files as sources.

Personally, I dislike spinning disks in vehicles. I'd be more inclined to find a way to patch a media player into the van's video system.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
the202

Re: How to create a Blu-Ray disk (from an MKV that was extracted from a Blu-Ray disk)

Post by the202 »

Woodstock, thanks for your reply. I agree that adding a third-party player could be helpful, but I’m inclined to leverage the factory player since the controls such as Volume, Play, Pause etc. are fully integrated into the Vehicle Entertainment System – and subsequently the steering wheel – which is very convenient.

I’ll look at MKV support with the authoring tools that I have. Thanks!
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Out of curiosity, which minivan do you have? The internet is full of discussion of (usually) Dads trying to figure out how to bring a library of movies along for the kiddos in the backseat.

For example: https://www.siennachat.com/threads/add- ... -50.67710/
jinx100

Post by jinx100 »

Many home BR players will also play .mkv files recorded on a disk as a data file. Have you tried this on your car BR player?

Recordable disks are temporary storage and will fail in a few years. Maybe your player has a USB input for a thumb drive.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

the202 wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:31 am
I’m looking for help with burning (making) a Blu-ray disk. I recently purchased a Redbox Blu-Ray movie that I was able to mount and then extract an .mkv file using MakeMKV. I would like to turn the extracted file back into an ‘auto-playing’ Blu-ray ISO (disk). You’re probably wondering why would I want to do this?

Many of the Blu-Ray movies I purchase are used for two purposes, 1) To add a digital copy to my home library, and 2) To keep the physical disk in my mini-van so it can be played during family trips – my car has a factory installed DVD/Blu-Ray player. The problem is SOME Blu-Ray disks have an extensive menu system that include previews and region settings that either can’t be bypassed by my (arguably limited) in-car player OR don’t always work well and require a lot of tinkering with the player to get going. I’ve never had a disk that won’t play, it’s just that some require a lot of ‘loading’ and button pushing before they’ll get to the main feature.

I would like to figure out a way to burn my own Blu-Ray that when inserted to my car player, will JUST START PLAYING THE MOVIE THAT IS ON IT – No menus, no previews, no languages, JUST play the movie.

I have access to decent equipment and some editing and authoring software (Adobe CC and Encore). The thing is, I don’t want to make a disk that has menus and scene selections, but rather the most basic Blu-Ray that auto-plays whatever might be burned to it. Also, if there is a good software program for making this type of image, I would be happy to purchase it.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
There is the free program BDRebuilder that will create a disc structure from a MKV file. Then you can use the free Imgburn to burn to disc.