Upscaling video quality

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
metalheadted

Upscaling video quality

Post by metalheadted »

I'm planning on buying a 4K disc player that upscales blurays to BD60. If the 4K version is only BD66 would it be that noticeable if I just purchased the bluray(BD50) and it got upscale to BD60 as compared to purchasing the 4K (BD66)?
Woodstock

Re: Upscaling video quality

Post by Woodstock »

Noticeable to WHO?

Upscaling does not give you more detail. And you're not upscaling to "BD50" or "BD60", you're upscaling to 2160p if you're going for UHD.

That means that every pixel of your 1080p source becomes 4 pixels on your 2160p display. Many 2160 displays will do this for you, without worrying about a particular playback source.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
metalheadted

Post by metalheadted »

Ok, thanks. I rechecked the specs and it states that it upscales up to 60p. So, will that make a difference if I watch a normal bluray on this 4K bluray player, significantly?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Remember that this forum isn't to support consumer BD or UHD players. MakeMKV is for ripping the video off of those disks to MKV files on your computer (or network), which then can be played by any MKV-aware player, from software on your PC to hardware video players like Roku and FireTV to even some TVs with built-in hardware players. Your choice of a consumer 4K UHD player might not even be able to play MKV files...
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging