'Nother Newbie Inquiry: What exactly are the advantages of bdmv file over the mkv file, and vice versa?

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
dn9909

'Nother Newbie Inquiry: What exactly are the advantages of bdmv file over the mkv file, and vice versa?

Post by dn9909 »

All I'm looking for is best picture and audio quality.
preserve

Re: 'Nother Newbie Inquiry: What exactly are the advantages of bdmv file over the mkv file, and vice versa?

Post by preserve »

There’s little advantage and multiple disadvantages to going with the source m2ts files in the BDMV directory unless for some reason you want to keep the original disc structure.

MKV is a robust container format and MakeMKV losslessly copies the stream data into it, so if you want the highest video and audio quality, you’ve got it.
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
dn9909

Re: 'Nother Newbie Inquiry: What exactly are the advantages of bdmv file over the mkv file, and vice versa?

Post by dn9909 »

preserve wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:22 am
There’s little advantage and multiple disadvantages to going with the source m2ts files in the BDMV directory unless for some reason you want to keep the original disc structure.

MKV is a robust container format and MakeMKV losslessly copies the stream data into it, so if you want the highest video and audio quality, you’ve got it.
Okay, thanks.
donut

Post by donut »

Older thread but I thought I would add reasons why I prefer mkv in addition to those already mentioned.

I think most of us find the MKV format to be more convenient to work with. You are only storing the disc content / title you want, rather than the entire disc. It is portable to many device types.

I assume you have placed a copy of the BD file structure on a computer. This typically means you purchased software to process the BD and its copy protection. Otherwise, you have to deal with physical media. There is no further physical contact required with a disc. It does not have to be located, cleaned, inserted, maintained or replaced.

Typically, one would extract from the bd the main feature, plus any extras if any that are desired.

There is no startup or read time waiting for the BDMV to "load". There is no menuing system required to navigate to the desired feature. No notices or unwanted trailers before getting to the desired content. Typically though, you do so with your own software, navigating your "library" to the desired title, rather than to the disc image. With the BDMV file structure, You still have to process the image with the discs menuing system, an additional layer of software, effort and time. This can improve the SAF (spouse approval factor), making the system easier for family to navigate and use.

Using library software, you have many more options in how you organize your library.

The mkv format is more portable than the bdmv container. It will work on many devices such as phones, tablets and various streaming devices and TVs. It will allow you play DVDs on a Raspberry Pi Zero and BD sourced content on a RPi2+. Plus countless other SBC devices released in the last 10 years. Many of the latest SBCs can handle 4K video. I assume most recent cell phones will allow you to "cast" BD and 4K video to your smart TV, bandwith and TV CPU depending. My old Galaxy 5 could do 1080p with an MHL cable.

if you use wifi to transport your media from storage to the player device, you will have the option to compress the video if it is in a format other than BDMV. This allows you to use a less capable wifi network by lowering the bandwith requirements for streaming to the device. (I do not use PLEX, so I don't know if it can do that for a BDMV based library, but it can for mkv's. If it can, it might be one of the few software items that can.) Otherwise, you will need to have a robust wifi network or a wired network.
rblood01

Post by rblood01 »

preserve wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:22 am

Exactly, and since you have the original source ;) you can always get a new fresh copy of it. Once I learned about MKV format, I was sold. It was exactly what I wanted to use for my DVD collection and future Blu-ray collection. Pure, lossless copies which I can then convert using Handbrake to whatever format I desire. Exactly what one needs for your optical disk movie conversion needs.