A Better Way To Find The Correct Playlist/Segment Map

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
DWreck1995

Re: A Better Way To Find The Correct Playlist/Segment Map

Post by DWreck1995 »

I've run into a problem with the TV show Friends where the mpls method doesn't seem to work with Process Monitor and PowerDVD, but the m2ts method does. The issue is there's sometimes upto 4 different playlists with the same segment map. The differences are usually in the audio tracks. Some have a bunch of duplicate tracks, and some include languages that the others don't. Does anyone have any tips on identifying the correct one?
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

I'm pretty sure that if the segment map is the same, then the video will be the same. I bet if you made a decrypted backup of the disc and looked at the .m2ts files, they would have all the audio tracks from the 4 different playlists. My guess is this happens when the studio wants to present a subset of all the languages based on the region of the player. I think you can just choose whichever one has the audio tracks you're looking for.
mreedelp2

Post by mreedelp2 »

For Friends, in the Blu-ray forum search for

Ripping "Friends"

The first result (at least for me) is a thread about this. Three posts from the bottom is where I uploaded a playlist that someone else had made.
StormMeows

Post by StormMeows »

It looks like if you have already backed up a disc that has Obfuscation on it, then this method will NOT work once you're ready to extract the movie and make an MKV file out of it. I have used this method in the OP successfully for discs, but have not tried a disc that I have backed up previously with MakeMKV until tonight. I tried a few different ways using Procmon + PowerDVD and also even tried VLC + ProcMon and both gave me the same file... but it is wrong. The file it plays from the BDMV folder is not the correct overall length of the film and the last segment is NOT end credits. Why is it any different if you are playing the BDMV or an ISO of the created file from MakeMKV vs if you have the disc inserted? I figured it would yield the same results as having the disc... Any ideas? Thanks

*Edit: I just inserted the disc and it found the correct segments/mpls no problem. I'm not sure why once you make a backup with MakeMKV, it plays the wrong file. Any thoughts appreciated since I have now confirmed you HAVE to have the disc to find the correct movie file.