Rip DVD to VOB rather than MKV?

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
rpjcheney

Rip DVD to VOB rather than MKV?

Post by rpjcheney »

Hi,

Quick question. Is it possible to use MakeMKV to select a mpeg2 and selected AC3 audio stream and then rip to vob format rather than mkv?

The reason for asking is that I want to put the resulting files onto a NAS server to stream to PS3, and I cannot find a way to convert mkv to vob without doing a recode. (I.e. no equivalent of mkv2vob on Mac OSX)

Any ideas?

Much obliged - Rich
skittle

Re: Rip DVD to VOB rather than MKV?

Post by skittle »

It sort of does unofficially. Start the streaming and browse to the page where the file you want is located and save that to your PC.
rpjcheney

Post by rpjcheney »

Hi Skittle. I gave that a go and it did save it out to a valid .vob file. Thanks for the tip!

However, it seems to ignore the audio track selections and streams the full set of AC3 tracks. (I need to select the English 5.1 track with one particular movie, else I get the Hungarian track when I play it through on the PS3!)

It would be great of they added a MakeVOB button as well as a MakeMKV one.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

I'm curious, why do you need a VOB file? For example, audio language names are not preserved in VOB file.
Cultish Gathering

Post by Cultish Gathering »

This is in fact possible with the current software of MakeMKV.

I'm posting this for future reference in case others come across this thread over search engine, etc.

To answer Mike Admin's question, it is possible that an export to .VOB and the accompanying .IFO or _TS files could preserve special effect tracks that are less than 120 seconds in length, the menu system, etc. For archival storage this complete and lossless backup may be desired by some.

To answer the OP's question, you achieve this by first decrypting the DVD as usual when attempting to make an MKV. However, once the decryption is over (AND ONLY WHEN THE DECRYPTION HAS FULLY COMPLETED) please open the DVD media directly in the Windows file explorer and you will find that instead of crashing, freezing, not responding, etc. Windows will be able to directly copy both the main VOB files and the accompanying menu system (what some may call "smalls") into other parts of the file system.

It will take some time as Windows file explorer does not read discs over 1x speed, however, it could be done.

I hope this was helpful.