Some MAC Issues and solutions (M2Max Studio)

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
danryan28

Some MAC Issues and solutions (M2Max Studio)

Post by danryan28 »

I had a MAC Mini 2015 and my OWC/LG external drive crapped out. So, what to do? Let's upgrade to a Mac Studio with M2 Max chips and new drives!! I do 3D Resin printing, so it's not just for movie ripping!!

The new Setup:
Mac Studio
Chip: Apple M2 Max
Total Number of Cores: 12 (8 performance and 4 efficiency)
Memory: 32 GB

OWC Mercury Pro with WH16NS40 drive

New MACOS security says that the MakeMKV package is not from trusted source.
Error Message: "MAKEMKV" cannot be opened because the developer cannot be verified. macOS cannot verify that this app is free from malware.
Fix:
MACOS Pre Sonoma
Open System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> General
Click the <Open Anyway> "button next to MakeMKV in the list in the bottom half of the window

MACOS 14.x
Open System Preferences -> Security & Privacy
Click the <Open Anyway> "button next to MakeMKV (You have to scoll to the bottom!)

Second issue: "MakeMKV would like access to files on a removable volume" for EVERY disk!!
Fix:
1. Quit MakeMKV
2. Open System Settings - Privacy and Security - Files and Folders and look for makemkv (but with a black terminal icon), and delete it!
3. open terminal and run:
codesign --force --deep --sign - /Applications/MakeMKV.app
Verify that MakeMKV is not showing up and has the correct icon in Files and Folders.
Credit: From @Immutableme (Thank you!)
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=27238&p=156277#p156277

Third issue: When ripping a LONG/Multiple title Bluray, the drive gives an error:
makemkv Error 'OS error - (ipc/send) invalid destination port' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00068.m2ts' at offset '0'

What did I try:
1. I tried different power supplies for the enclosure
2. I tried the new drive and old enclosure
3. I tried plugging the power supply into my UPS
4. I tried plugging the USB3 cable into a Anker USB-C Dock plugged into the Mac Studio

What finally fixed it:
I flashed the drive with the 1.2 MK firmware from this site.
Information about flashing the drives can be found here:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19634

I would like to note that before I flashed the drive I was getting 7.4x (31M/s) speeds, and now I'm getting a max of 6.4x (about 28M/s speeds. But the errors are gone!
DavoBR

Re: Some MAC Issues and solutions (M2Max Studio)

Post by DavoBR »

Thanks for posting 👍🏼
Gryphon

Post by Gryphon »

FYI, using codesign to get rid of the permissions dialog only works if you have a paid Apple Developer account ($99/year). Without that you just get a "no identity found" error.
danryan28

Post by danryan28 »

Gryphon wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2024 5:36 pm
FYI, using codesign to get rid of the permissions dialog only works if you have a paid Apple Developer account ($99/year). Without that you just get a "no identity found" error.
No, that’s not true…I do not have a paid account. I do have the Developer tools installed from the app store.