Creating an ISO File from a UHD 4K Blu-ray for Dummies n

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
John1948

Creating an ISO File from a UHD 4K Blu-ray for Dummies n

Post by John1948 »

Hello,

I have a question that I have been unsuccessfully researching for hours. I have researched this topic on this forum but, frankly, a lot of the discussion and suggestions exceed my current limit of unders. I have technical training (as a scientist) but have a very limited background in video processing.

Background
I just ordered a Magnetar UDP-800 with the optional $99 "Firmware Update" .

I would like to make a full digital copies of my UHD 4K Blu- ray Discs on a hard drive so I can play a digital copy of the full original movie that I have on the disc. My understanding is that to get a full digital copy of the disc' content (including Dolby Vision and Atmos content), I will have to convert the disc to an ISO file on the hard drive (MKV files will not support Dolby Vision playing through my Magnetar UDP-800 player. I have a Mac M2 Studio computer running the latest Mac OS, Sonoma (Mac OS 14). I have also already ordered a 4K-compatible drive (ASUS BW-16D1HT) for ripping UHD blu-ray discs.

As a novice, I am not sure what software, and the steps required, to use on my Mac to create an ISO file from the disc.

Request for help:
Can anyone guide me, in lay terms and an operational level, how I might be able to create full digital files on my Mac that will be able to play on my Magnetar UDP-800? I am will to buy the necessary software but I am not even sure what to buy as most of the relevant software seems to be Windows only or for older, non-Apple silicon, based Mac OS's.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
dcoke22

Re: Creating an ISO File from a UHD 4K Blu-ray for Dummies n

Post by dcoke22 »

Does it really have to be an ISO? I don't have any experience with a Magnetar UDP-800, but other folks on this forum with Dune players or whatever seem to be able to use MakeMKV's backup function to make a decrypted backup of a movie into a folder and use that backup on their player.
Morseman

Re: Creating an ISO File from a UHD 4K Blu-ray for Dummies n

Post by Morseman »

I was just today led to this forum and am in exactly the same position, with the same hardware, as John1948, except I haven't done the hours of research. I hope to find the information I need on this forum.