Can't update MakeMKV under Mac OS Sonoma

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
thinksinc

Can't update MakeMKV under Mac OS Sonoma

Post by thinksinc »

Is anyone having trouble updating to the latest version of MakeMKV while running Mac OS Sonoma?

I just updated to Sonoma today, and MakeMKV also released a new app update today as well.

I'm aware of the Gatekeeper issue with installing unsigned apps on Mac OS, but have successfully updated MakeMKV many times before by manually allowing permission for the update.

In Sonoma, however, I am not getting the prompt in System Preferences > Privacy & Security that an unsigned app installation was attempted, which is always how it has worked previously.

I've double-checked all of the Privacy & Security panes—including Security, where the "Allow applications downloaded from..." features are, and for some reason initializing the installation of MakeMKV from its disk image is not triggering the manual approval pane for me.

I get the standard "The disk image couldn't be opened. The operation couldn't be completed. Permission denied [OK]." pop-up, but closing that would always trigger the manual approval pane, I believe in the Security section of Privacy & Security.

Anyone else having the same problem?
dburna

Re: Can't update MakeMKV under Mac OS Sonoma

Post by dburna »

I am having a different -- but perhaps related -- problem. I thought I installed the new MakeMKV program successfully, but now I am not sure. When I open makeMKV, it tells me the version is 1.17.4, which I believe is the old version. Like you, I didn't get any error message about security, it just seems to have completed/ended the installation. Unlike you, I didn't yet upgrade to Sonoma, so I think the issue is with the makeMKV 1.17.5 build, not Sonoma. The fact that you upgraded to Sonoma may just be a coincidence.

-dGB
dburna

Post by dburna »

I was finally able to resolve this prior to upgrading to Sonoma. Going to try to upgrade to Sonoma shortly.

The short-term fix might be to update MakeMKV prior to upgrading the MacOS, but obviously that won't help if you've already upgraded. I expect that a MakeMKV update (beyond 1.17.5) might be needed to address this.

-dGB
thinksinc

Post by thinksinc »

Strangely, I tried downloading the Mac installer again a few days later, and when I try to open it, I can't even get the installer to start, with an error message "The disk image couldn't be opened. The operation couldn't be completed. Permission denied."

Guess I'll have to wait for another update that's more compatible with Sonoma...

-R
thinksinc

Post by thinksinc »

It looks like there's a bug in Sonoma that is affecting other applications that install via disk image as well:

https://forum.c-command.com/t/dmgs-with ... ns/15494/2