M1 MacBook 4K BluRay compatible LibreDrive

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
himynameisryan

M1 MacBook 4K BluRay compatible LibreDrive

Post by himynameisryan »

Hi all,
Recently I purchased a LG BP60NB10 because it is 4K compatible and it is possible to turn into a libre drive, even on the out of the box latest firmware.

However after opening it I discovered it does not support 4K on macOS. Now using windows is not an option for me, due to the fact I despise it, so does anyone know of a model that I could purchase to replace it
Or a way to get it to work for ripping blurays in full quality on macOS

Also no, I can’t purchase one that has been converted into LibreDrive already because the ones I could find on this forum only ship to the US

Thanks for your time,
Ryan
dcoke22

Re: M1 MacBook 4K BluRay compatible LibreDrive

Post by dcoke22 »

I'm not quite sure what you mean about not supporting 4k on macOS?

I have 3 LibreDrive compatible optical drives I use with my Mac (none of them are your specific model, however) and all 3 of them can rip a 4k UHD and I can view that ripped file on my Mac.

Are you attempting to play a 4K UHD on your Mac like you would with a DVD? Apple has never supported officially playing a 4K UHD and never will. On Windows computers, only a certain subset of Intel CPUs had the necessary hardware to use official 4k UHD playback software; AMD CPUs never supported it and the most recent generations of Intel CPUs no longer support it.

With MakeMKV's integration with VLC, it should be possible to play a disc via VLC, but I don't have much experience with this as it isn't a feature I use. MakeMKV is pretty good at getting a movie off an optical disc and stripping it of the DRM. The resulting file can be played with many players without all that much hassle (Dolby Vision and some of the fancier audio formats like Dolby Atmos notwithstanding).

As a side note, there are some drive sellers for other countries besides the US. The Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide has a section titled 'Recommended Pre-Flashed Drive Sellers' with list of sellers and the geographies they cover.
himynameisryan

Post by himynameisryan »

so turns out I'm just an idiot.
the 4k compatibility on the box only applies to playback (at least as far as I can tell).

I don't intend to play them, just rip
asiraphale

Post by asiraphale »

himynameisryan,

did that drive work for you no problem on a M1 macbook? I'm looking to rip out some of my 4k's and I know apple has had some issues with optical drives. Are you plugged directly into the computer or a hub of some kind? I use a thunderbolt OWC dock and was just curious.

is this the one you got?

https://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-P ... B079LTC6ML

( i still have a windows 10 box i use for games that if i have to i could use, I'd just rather move all the heavy lifting over to my mac)
moviepastor

Post by moviepastor »

I got an LG for mine and flashed it using the instructions on the forum and makemkv rips BluRay 4kuhd perfectly. Did you flash yours? what model did you get?