Convert backup to ISO

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
SamuriHL

Re: Convert backup to ISO

Post by SamuriHL »

Mac is not my native OS. I just bought a MacBook Pro M2 when it came out so I've only had it a couple weeks now. This kind of stuff is child's play in Windows but on the Mac I'm not seeing any quick, free ways to do it as a UDF 2.5 image. That's disappointing. I'm sure it can be done, I just don't know how. If I come up with anything I'll let you know.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

SamuriHL wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:11 pm
I'm not familiar with the tool you're using to convert to ISO but it really should be UDF 2.5 when creating a blu-ray/uhd ISO. Is there a way to specify that with this tool?
You're correct, SamuriHL, and I overlooked that earlier.

According to the man page, there is an optional parameter:
-udf-version
Version of UDF filesystem to generate.
This can be either "1.02" or "1.50".
If not specified, it defaults to "1.50"
(UDF).
The command line would look like this for example:

Code: Select all

hdiutil makehybrid -udf -udf-version 1.02 -o outputfile.iso sourcefile.cdr
It took me a long time to figure out how to determine the UDF version of an iso on MacOS. In the end I had to install the util-linux formulae via HomeBrew to be able to use the blkid program (Thank you StackExchange).

In any case, it appears that hdiutil does what is says on the tin. The default produces an iso with UDF version 1.50. If you specify 1.02, you get UDF version 1.02. If you specify a different version, like 2.01 or 2.50, you get an iso with UDF version 1.50. So it seems that hdiutil, at least the version that ships with macOS 12.6.2 Monterey on Intel, can only produce isos with a max UDF version of 1.50.

I think the OP is back at square one.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

wesg92 wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:23 pm
I'm not sure. I'm looking for any way to convert the MakeMKV decrypted backup to ISO on a Mac. Right now I'm using Disk Utility to create a .cdr image from the folder and then the hdiutil command line to convert that to ISO, and haven't been able to get the ISO file to play on the Zidoo. I'm open to other methods/options!
I don't have a Zidoo or a Dune player, but the website for Dune players says it plays the blu-ray file structure, which I'm pretty sure is just the output of MakeMKV's backup option. Will your Zidoo play the backup? Zidoo's website isn't as forthcoming with those kinds of details.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

dcoke22 wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:52 pm
In any case, it appears that hdiutil does what is says on the tin. The default produces an iso with UDF version 1.50. If you specify 1.02, you get UDF version 1.02. If you specify a different version, like 2.01 or 2.50, you get an iso with UDF version 1.50. So it seems that hdiutil, at least the version that ships with macOS 12.6.2 Monterey on Intel, can only produce isos with a max UDF version of 1.50.

I think the OP is back at square one.
Well ain't that a blast. I would have thought with all the power of BSD under the covers, MacOS would be a piece of cake to handle this kind of stuff from a terminal. That's slightly frustrating. I don't know if things have changed with MacOS 13.x or if it's different on an M1/M2 but somehow I have my doubts given that UDF 2.5 has been around for "a couple minutes". LOL Virtual machine with Linux?? :D LMAO Good lord.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

There was moment in time when blu-rays were becoming a thing and someone asked Steve Jobs about when the Mac would support blu-rays. His response called blu-ray licensing a "bag of hurt" and said the Mac probably wouldn't support blu-ray as a consequence. I bet a pronouncement like that from on high put the kibosh on all development inside the company that might support blu-rays, like UDF 2.50.

The Mac, out of the box, has never supported putting a blu-ray in an optical drive and playing a movie.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

That's why I like JRiver MC. Works on Windows. Works on Mac. Plays all my stuff no matter where I am. I create protected ISOs for a very short time for very specific reasons but ultimately they get deleted once I know I'm good. (I mean, I'm lazy....I could just as easily grab the disc off the shelf but sometimes UHDs become harder to read the more and more you touch them). Doing a folder to ISO is not something I'd traditionally do but on Windows if I had to, ImgBurn is the goto choice for that. On Mac, there are programs out there to do it, but, I don't know if they're free or not.
wesg92

Post by wesg92 »

dcoke22 wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:06 pm
wesg92 wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:23 pm
I'm not sure. I'm looking for any way to convert the MakeMKV decrypted backup to ISO on a Mac. Right now I'm using Disk Utility to create a .cdr image from the folder and then the hdiutil command line to convert that to ISO, and haven't been able to get the ISO file to play on the Zidoo. I'm open to other methods/options!
I don't have a Zidoo or a Dune player, but the website for Dune players says it plays the blu-ray file structure, which I'm pretty sure is just the output of MakeMKV's backup option. Will your Zidoo play the backup? Zidoo's website isn't as forthcoming with those kinds of details.
I tried copying the folder structure there but it didn't recognize it. I used DVDFab to create an ISO from another disc and that worked. Was just hoping there was a free alternative, but maybe not. :(
wesg92

Post by wesg92 »

Following up here to see if anyone has any further ideas. Really want to get an ISO of this disc. Thanks!
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Sorry i do not at this point. It's frustrating that Mac doesn't have proper tools to do it.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

d00zah

Post by d00zah »

wesg92 wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:56 pm
Following up here to see if anyone has any further ideas. Really want to get an ISO of this disc. Thanks!
How badly do you want this? You could use a VirtualBox hosted Windows VM (~free, expires April 12, 2023) w/ ImgBurn. Pretty round-about, but it'd get the job done.

Or just sneaker-net (portable storage) the folder to a friend's Windows box. YMMV
hart2hart

Post by hart2hart »

d00zah wrote:
wesg92 wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:56 pm
How badly do you want this? You could use a VirtualBox hosted Windows VM (~free, expires April 12, 2023) w/ ImgBurn. Pretty round-about, but it'd get the job done.

Or just sneaker-net (portable storage) the folder to a friend's Windows box. YMMV
ImgBurn is great tool and simple to use. I’ve Ddone exactly what you want several times on Windows.

As I recall, most of the downloads were bundled with crapware. If you decide to go this route, 7zip will extract imgburn from downloaded exe installer files or I’d be happy to see if I still have it.
wesg92

Post by wesg92 »

Thanks all. Making progress.

I have Win11 and ImgBurn running on a VM.

I selected Create image file from file/folders.

Selected the BDMV folder that was created from MakeMKV backup.

Data Type: MODE1/2048
FIle System: UDF
UDF Version: 2.5

However, I'm getting this error: Cannot open file Z:/[path]/00001.m2ts Reason: The file size exceeds the limit allows and cannot be saved.

I found that I can Allow Files Exceeding Size Limit in the Restrictions tab, but looks like that doesn't apply to UDFs.

I see a warning in the log stating Drive Z: (FAT) might not support single files > 4GB in size.

How do I work around this?

Thanks so much! Almost there!
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

Which operating system is hosting the z: drive? FAT, FAT32 don't support files > 4GB in size. ExFAT, NTFS do (Windows) . A quick 'google' says MacOS will natively support ExFAT.

Most simple solution... whatever OS is hosting z: (assuming it's a 'scratch' partition), format the partition as ExFAT, rather than FAT.
Last edited by d00zah on Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wesg92

Post by wesg92 »

I'm just creating the ISO directly from disc and it seems to be working. Still wouldn't mind knowing how to work around the above issue tho.
wesg92

Post by wesg92 »

d00zah wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:31 pm
Which operating system is hosting the z: drive? FAT, FAT32 don't support files > 4GB in size. ExFAT, NTFS do (Windows) . A quick 'google' says MacOS will natively support ExFAT.

Most simple solution... whatever OS is hosting z:, format as ExFAT, rather than FAT.
The Z: drive is local on my Macbook, and I don't want to format that drive! I'm just ripping directly from disc.