The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
d00zah

Re: Convert backup to ISO

Post by d00zah »

wesg92 wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:35 pm
d00zah wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:31 pm
Which operating system is hosting the z: drive? FAT, FAT32 don't support files > 4GB in size. ExFAT, NTFS do (Windows) . A quick 'google' says MacOS will natively support ExFAT.

Most simple solution... whatever OS is hosting z:, format as ExFAT, rather than FAT.
The Z: drive is local on my Macbook, and I don't want to format that drive! I'm just ripping directly from disc.
Pretty sure it's gonna fail when output file size exceeds 4GB if it's saving to a FAT partition.

Have an old HDD you can format & mount for this exercise? A network drive formatted in EXT2 (or beyond)?
wesg92

Post by wesg92 »

Hmm.. right now my only other option would be to save directly to the drive that's in the Zidoo. I can try that if this fails.
wesg92

Post by wesg92 »

Not sure what I did wrong, but it created 6 ISO files and 1 MDS file.

I'm guessing that's because the destination drive is FAT. I'll try writing to the Zidoo drive.
wesg92

Post by wesg92 »

Hmm, Zidoo drive is also FAT.

2 steps forward, 1 step back. :(

I don't understand this since I have MANY MKV files on the drive that are 50GB+ each
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

Multiple .iso files? For a single operation?

The only thing I can envision is something akin to what certain archive tools (WinZip, WinRAR, etc.) do to overcome file size limitations by creating a series of interdependent smaller files. Not aware that the .iso spec/ImgBurn would support such a thing & don't currently have the cycles to research it. Seems unlikely.

And frankly, I'm still scratching my head about an OS disc formatted in FAT(16). That's as antiquated (vintage?) as I am! :o AND you say "Zidoo is FAT, too"? Damn...
wesg92

Post by wesg92 »

Yep. Seems correct from a forum post I found:

"FAT32 (which external hard disks tend to come preformatted as, for compatibility with Macs) doesn't support files that are more than 4gb each. So ImgBurn breaks up the .iso data and spreads it across as many files as it needs, and combines them using a .MDS file which you would then use to burn/mount/etc. instead of the ISO."

I truly don't understand this "limitation" because MakeMKV has no issue at all writing files to my Macbook and to the Zidoo drive that are 50GB+. Seems like more of an ImgBurn issue to me, but everything I search points to the FAT/FAT32 file system.

I'll keep researching... :/
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

wesg92 wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:03 pm
I truly don't understand this "limitation" because MakeMKV has no issue at all writing files to my Macbook and to the Zidoo drive that are 50GB+. Seems like more of an ImgBurn issue to me, but everything I search points to the FAT/FAT32 file system.

I'll keep researching... :/
This makes it far more likely that the Windows VM (hence ImgBurn) "perceives" the mapped drive as FAT (16/32 both limit size... a 'lowest common denominator') & applies limits accordingly. Interop can be a funny thing.

I must confess to having not used a Mac since the 80's... MANY 'nix & Windows variants, but Mac never "did it" for me, personally. Only one man's opinion... opinions vary.
wesg92

Post by wesg92 »

I'm just saving it to the C: drive of the VM, which it recognizes as NTFS. Then I'll copy the file to the Zidoo drive.

Whew!

Then... let's hope it actually plays! LOL
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Such a fun process. LOL Sounds like you're getting there. ImgBurn is THE program to use for this kind of stuff so I'd be surprised if it doesn't play. You're making this from a MakeMKV decrypted backup folder, right? I saw earlier comments saying you were pulling it from the disc and hopefully I'm confused by that. Cause you NEED to do this from a decrypted folder backup.
wesg92

Post by wesg92 »

haha no, I'm doing it right from the disc at the moment.

If this doesn't work (as it seems now that it won't) I'll do it from a decrypted MakeMKV backup. Thx!
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

SamuriHL wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:19 pm
Such a fun process. LOL Sounds like you're getting there. ImgBurn is THE program to use for this kind of stuff so I'd be surprised if it doesn't play. You're making this from a MakeMKV decrypted backup folder, right? I saw earlier comments saying you were pulling it from the disc and hopefully I'm confused by that. Cause you NEED to do this from a decrypted folder backup.
Unsure of the ins/outs of Mac file shares, but I wonder if accessing the share via UNC path, rather than as a mapped drive in Windows might yield more favorable results... provided that's even a valid option? Thoughts?
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

wesg92 wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:27 pm
haha no, I'm doing it right from the disc at the moment.

If this doesn't work (as it seems now that it won't) I'll do it from a decrypted MakeMKV backup. Thx!
thats not going to work because its double encrypted disc s encryption and the buss encryption from the drive you need makemkv to activate libre drive to get around that
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

It needs more than that in this case. Libredrive will allow to make a protected iso which is still useless for the use case they're trying to solve. It must be done from a decrypted folder backup. That's the entire point of using imgburn in the first place. We can get easily make protected iso backups on the Mac with libredrive enabled. But that's not the use case here.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited by SamuriHL on Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

d00zah wrote:
SamuriHL wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:19 pm
Unsure of the ins/outs of Mac file shares, but I wonder if accessing the share via UNC path, rather than as a mapped drive in Windows might yield more favorable results... provided that's even a valid option? Thoughts?
I have my MacBook pro connected to my nas through smb shares and it works fine. I use davinci resolve studio directly on the nas shares without issue. But adding in the windows vm component to this equation I'm simply not sure. I've not setup windows on my Mac yet. I've not really needed it so far.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

wesg92

Post by wesg92 »

Update:

I created a decrypted back of the disc in MakeMKV.

I sent the backup folder to a friend via dropbox.

He used ImgBurn to create an ISO with these settings:
Data Type: MODE1/2048
File System: UDF
UDF Revision: 2.50

When I play the ISO on the Zidoo, it says "Can't play video"

What should I try next?