Best external BD drive for Mac?

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
Woodstock

Re: Best external BD drive for Mac?

Post by Woodstock »

"Plays great" and "rips without issue" are two different criteria. You can play a disk "without issue" that has bad sections - the player just skips over the bad spots. Ripping is done to get all the data, including that in the bad sections.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Zulith

Post by Zulith »

The drive I have seen most recommended *recently* is the Pioneer BRD-XD07TUHD and that is the one I intend to purchase after a lot of research. My personal criteria was a drive that had no problems on either Windows or Mac, had a small form factor, top loading (front loading is fine but potentially prone to additional issues so why not just avoid it?) and has a good reputation in various reviews around the internet.

Of course there are many good options, and the list in the firmware thread is a great resource.
TGW_SLO

Post by TGW_SLO »

I'm not sure this is necessarily 'the best' drive, but I recently purchased an Asus BW-16D1X-U, which supposedly works with both Windows and Mac, although, I had better luck setting it up and working with my Mac (Mac mini M1 running Monterey). So far I've ripped two blue-rays very easily. The only downside was the time it took to actually do the rip.
Aside from that, I am very happy with the drive so far.